Cultural performance groups
Folklorico celebrates Mexican culture through dance and music. Students learn traditional Mexican dances and perform in district and community events. All music at performances is played live by the Mariachi Estrellas.
Students in Folklorico:
- learn about Mexican culture and history
- develop their dancing talents
- gain cultural awareness and pride
- teach the public about Hispanic culture
Schools with Folklorico clubs:
- Garland High School
- Roach Elementary
- South Garland High School
The GISD Mariachi Estrellas, or "All Stars," is a performance group consisting of students from all seven high schools.
The Mariachi Estrellas program:
- celebrates the history of Mariachi music
- promotes the cultural diversity of our district
- encourages more minority students to participate in fine arts
- Oct. 3 - Park Crest Elementary Parent Night - 7 p.m.
- Oct. 14 - City of Garland Parks & Recreation Department at Hollabaugh Rec Center - 12 p.m.
- Oct. 14 - Garland Association for Hispanic Affairs Heritage Banquet - 7 p.m.
- Nov. 1 - City of Garland Dia de los Muertos on the Square - 7 p.m.
- Nov. 8 - Garland Police Dept UNIDOS Community Meeting - 7 p.m.
- Nov. 9 -DFW Transportation Directors Meeting/Transportation Department - 11:30 a.m.
- Dec. 7 - City of Garland Christmas on the Square - 8 p.m.
- Dec. 14 - Mariachi Winter Concert in the SGHS Auditorium - 7 p.m.