First Steps is for parents with babies and toddlers. Certified parent educators share activities and games that you can do with your children to help get them ready for school and learning.
Meetings take place in your home or at our office. Daytime and evening options are available, and childcare is often provided.
What are the benefits of First Steps?
Join First Steps and you will:
- have one-on-one visits with a parent educator to help you understand what to expect as your child grows
- attend parenting classes to learn about nutrition, sleeping problems, discipline and other common concerns
- meet other parents, share experiences and get support
- get screenings to check your child's health and overall development
- connect with community resources and other GISD programs
Who can join First Steps?
You can join First Steps if you are living in the district and you are:
- a teen parent
- a foster parent
- on food stamps
- getting free or reduced school lunches
- getting TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)