In most districts attendance zones determine where students will attend school. GISD employs a “Choice of School” program, allowing parents to select the campus they want their children to attend for the next school year.
Annual choice of school periods
There are two 30-day Choice of School periods each spring:
- Secondary choice - For students entering grades 6-12 in the fall, the choice period begins in January and ends in February.
- Elementary choice - For students entering grades PK-5 in the fall, the choice period begins in March and ends in April.
Who must participate in Choice of School?
Parents are required to participate in Choice of School if their student is:
- Moving from elementary to middle or middle to high school
- New to Garland ISD schools
- Would like to attend a different school for the upcoming school year
How to submit your choice
For current GISD students, parents may complete a Choice of School form online through Skyward Family Access or may return a paper form to their current campus. You must return/submit the Choice of School form on or before the 30-day deadline.
Parents are given the opportunity to make a first, second and third choice.
New to GISD
Students who are new to GISD will complete the Choice of School form as part of the enrollment process.
Students who are invited to and accept a seat in a special program (magnet, special education, etc. ) are not required to participate in the Choice of School process.
Students who live more than 2 miles from a campus may be eligible for district transportation.
Transportation maps are available:
- at each campus
- at the Harris Hill Administrative Building
- at the Manuel & Maria Valle Student Services Center
Although our goal is to grant everyone’s choice, various factors play a role in the final outcome of matching students with campuses.
Available seats are filled by students who:
- Live in a dedicated transporation route to their campus of choice
- Have a sibling who attends that campus (same Family ID) and is not a participant in a special program (magnet, special education, etc. )
- Lives the closes of all students requesting that grade level and program at that location
The number of available seats is determined by:
- building capacity
- teacher to student ratios
- court-orderd ethnicity ratio requirements
- existing students' right to remain at that campus
Choice of School Period
for 2016-2017 School Year
Secondary Choice Period
Jan. 28, 2016 – Feb. 26, 2016
Elementary Choice Period
Mar. 17, 2016 – Apr. 15, 2016
Student Services & School Choice
Manuel & Maria Valle Student Services Center
720 Stadium Dr.
Garland, TX 75040
Why does Garland ISD have a Choice of School Plan?
The District is governed by a desegregation plan under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, approved under the 1970 Civil Court Order, and amended in 1987 by Civil Court Action.
Under the provisions of the plan, the District does not designate school attendance areas during the annual 30-day Choice of School selection period, when parents or students 18 years of age or older are required to select the school the student would like to attend for he upcoming school year.
The upcoming 30-day choice period is conducted every spring semester. If by the end of the choice period the parent or 18-year old student has not selected a school, the District will make a choice for the student. These choices are binding for the next school year.