Annual Choice of School
As you know, the Garland Independent School District is unique in many ways. One of the district’s more distinctive features is its open enrollment plan.
In most districts attendance zones determine where students will attend school. GISD employs a “Choice of School” program, allowing parents to select the campus they want their children to attend for the subsequent school year. The selection period takes place during the spring semester.
Although our goal is to grant everyone’s choice, various factors play a role in the final outcome of matching students with campuses:
- overcrowding in schools
- walk zones
- transportation zones
- sibling rules
- Garland ISD will annually offer a 30-day Open Enrollment Choice of School period for the following school year
- Choice of School requests are honored based on the capacity of the school
- Assignments are processed by priority: Residing within a designated walk or transportation zone
- Proximity to campus
- The Magnet School Application Period will begin during the fall semester and continue into the spring semester, concluding prior to the 30-day Choice of School periods for both elementary and secondary schools.
The Open-Enrollment 30-day Choice Period will occur in the spring semester. This year, elementary and secondary students will have two separate open enrollment periods, which are as follows:
- Secondary Choice Period (Grades 5-11)
January 22, 2015 – February 20, 2015
- Elementary Choice Period (Grades PreK-4)
March 19, 2015 – April 17, 2015
Individual forms have been developed for elementary (orange forms) and secondary (green forms) selections. Forms will be sent home with students the day before the 30-day choice period begins.
Forms can also be obtained from:
- Your neighborhood Garland ISD school
- Garland ISD Student Services Center
720 Stadium Drive; Garland, TX 75040
(SE corner of Glenbrook and Stadium Drives-near William Stadium)
- Harris Hill Administration Building Reception Desk
501 S. Jupiter Road; Garland, TX 75042
(SW corner of Jupiter and Walnut – across Jupiter from the Forest/Jupiter DART station)
Choices made by the parents of students during the 2015-2016 choice period will stay active for subsequent choice periods as long as the student remains enrolled in Garland ISD unless one of the following conditions occurs:
- Student moves from Pre-K to elementary school
- Student moves from elementary to middle school
- Student moves from middle school to high school
- Parent wishes to make a new choice during the 30-day Choice of School period
- Student transfers to a school any time after the last Choice of School period
- Secondary students who do not submit a choice of school form during the 30-day Choice of School period will be automatically assigned to their last location.
View the flow chart to see an illustration of the process used by the Department of Student Services & School Choice to determine campus assignments.
The District is governed by a desegregation plan under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, approved under the 1970 Civil Court Order, and amended in 1987 by Civil Court Action.
Under the provisions of the plan, the District does not designate school attendance areas during the annual 30-day Choice of School selection period, when parents or students 18 years of age or older are required to select the school the student would like to attend for he upcoming school year.
The upcoming 30-day choice period is conducted every spring semester. If by the end of the choice period the parent or 18-year old student has not selected a school, the District will make a choice for the student. These choices are binding for the next school year.
Choice of School Period
for 2015-2016 School Year
Secondary Choice Period
Jan. 22, 2015 – Feb. 20, 2015
Elementary Choice Period
Mar. 19, 2015 – Apr. 17, 2015
Elementary Choice of School Results
Parents of elementary students who do not receive their first choice of school will be notified by mail in early June.
No notification is sent when a student DOES receive their first choice.If you have any questions regarding Choice of School, please contact Student Services and School Choice at 972-494-8255.