GISD Recognized as One of the Best Community for Music Education
On March 22, 2013, the Garland Independent School District, comprised of the cities of Garland, Rowlett and Sachse, Texas was once again designated a “Best Community for Music Education" by the National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) Foundation...read more
Five GISD Students Named as TVAA Art Show Winners
Congratulations to Emely Villda-Principe for receiving the Volunteer's Choice award, Christine Ngo for receiving the Special Award - Ceramics, Nick Bowker for receiving the Special Award - Drawing, Natali Goodman for receiving the Juror's Choice award, and Scott Thompson for the Honorable Mention award in the 2013 Texas Visual Arts Association High School Art Competition.
The show this year had 965 pieces of art entered from 33 schools in the DFW area. There were only 153 pieces of art accepted into the show and only 24 of those pieces were award winners...2013 TVAA List of Winners
Why the Fine Arts Are Important
The Garland Independent School is committed to the education of the whole child and as a component of that education believes that:
- every student should have a basic knowledge, skills and appreciation of the fine arts.
- a quality arts education program will enable students to develop self-esteem, self-discipline, self motivation, and cooperation necessary for success in life.
Additional information about the importance of the arts in education:
- Texas Coalition for Quality Arts Education
- The Value of the Arts - Former Secretary of Education
- Arts Contribution to Education - National Standards
- President's Committee on the Arts & the Humanities
- Ten Lessons the Arts Teach
The Garland ISD Fine Arts Department has many performances and activities throughout the school year. You are invited to attend these performances to witness the fine work being done by both the students and our teaching staff.
Be sure to check the Fine Arts Calendar for a current list of scheduled performances and activities across the school district.