Accelerating Campus Excellence (ACE)
Launched in 2018-19, Garland ISD’s Accelerating Campus Excellence (ACE) program takes a new approach to education, which focuses on strategic staffing and student support.
ACE first identifies specific staff members who will best fit the individual needs of students at participating campuses. It then ensures every student is supported academically, socially and emotionally in order to reach his or her greatest potential.
Our ACE schools are:
- Handley Elementary School - Cheryl Alexander, Principal
- Lyles Middle School- Michael Bland, Principal
ACE not only inspires innovation, academic excellence, citizenship and college and career readiness. It also helps eliminate previous opportunity gaps.
Each ACE school offers:
- Extended school hours
- Enrichment activities after school
- Social and emotional learning and development
- Discounted uniforms
- Free breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Transportation home for students who stay until 6 p.m.
- A culture of high expectations
- Financial incentives to attract and retain highly effective staff
- Specialized training and extra professional development
Students and staff at an ACE school will benefit from:
- Extra academic support - teachers will provide additional instruction, with a focus on subjects such as English and mathematics
- Time to complete homework at school
- Resources for character and leadership development
- Opportunity to co-build a dynamic and transformative learning environment alongside talented peers
Frequently Asked Questions
Committed to ensuring that every student receives a high-quality education, Garland ISD recognizes that each individual campus has a unique set of needs. The ACE program is proven to benefit a variety of campuses, including ones that:
- Earn multiple Improvement Required ratings from the Texas Education Agency;
- Show academic achievement gaps when compared to other campuses with different family income levels and ethnicities;
- Report a higher number of discipline incidents; or
- Experience regular enrollment changes due to students moving residences
ACE principals hand-pick every position on their campuses to guarantee the best fit. In preparation for Garland ISD’s launch at Handley and Lyles in 2018-19, all professional and paraprofessional positions will be reopened.
Garland ISD’s ACE program is an adaptation from Dallas ISD. Since the program’s implementation there in 2015, ACE schools have experienced increased academic performance in core content areas, improved attendance, and a stronger parent-school connection.
Fort Worth ISD and Richardson ISD have also implemented the ACE program.
Who can apply to work at an ACE campus?
All current staff members at Handley and Lyles have the opportunity to apply for a position if they wish to remain as part of the ACE program in 2018-19. Employees from across the district are also invited to apply. If current Handley and Lyles staff do not wish to remain at their campuses, or are not selected for an ACE position, they will be welcomed at another GISD school.
Garland ISD’s ACE program adds an hour to the school day, allowing for increased instructional time to focus on critical subjects like English and math, tutoring, homework help and more. Handley Elementary will observe an 8:10 a.m.-4:20 p.m. school day while Lyles Middle School observes an 8:50 a.m.-5 p.m. school day.
Additionally, students at both campuses can take advantage of enrichment activities until 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. They are optional but strongly encouraged. If students participate, they will receive free dinner and transportation home on Monday through Thursday, if needed.