Assistant Director, Cafeteria Operations
Anticipate and put into operation all processes necessary to meet the needs of an ever-changing school food service program, ensuring that students receive meals meeting all requirements of the National School Lunch and Breakfast Program.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Institutional Management, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Home Economics, or a related field
School Nutrition Specialist or Master’s Degree, preferred
Clear and valid Texas driver’s license
A minimum of eight (8) years in a school food service operations and experience as assistant director in multi-unit operation, preferred
Demonstrated knowledge of the technology used to capture and analyze data
Demonstrated ability to analyze productivity performance results and take appropriate actions
Demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of the food service industry.
Demonstrated ability to function effectively with all levels of management throughout the district.
Demonstrated outstanding coaching and nurturing skills in leading a large, diverse organization
Demonstrated understanding of governmental requirements and ability to ensure department personnel understand their roles in complying with government regulations
Demonstrated ability to emphasize the importance of customer service to department personnel
Experience in an urban school setting and/or in a multicultural educational environment preferred
Demonstrated organizational, communication, management, budgeting and interpersonal skills required to achieve the goals of the position
Major responsibilities and duties
- Ensure the establishment and implementation of standardized cafeteria operations.
- Develop, implement, and administer performance standards to improve the efficiency of food services operations.
- Develop and execute a strategic plan for staffing school food services operations; oversee school staffing.
- Develop and execute a strategic plan for school operations that supports the overall food service strategic plan, mission and values.
- Establish procedures to ensure compliance with district personnel policies, as they relate to due process and discipline.
- Assist supervisors with school disciplinary concerns, and act as a resource for managers by providing information and counseling relating to the fair and consistent treatment of school employees.
- Provide input to business coordinator on the fiscal needs of cafeteria operations.
- Oversee and promote systematic, efficient, automated reporting of performance data, analyze data and make appropriate changes based on productivity performance results.
- Periodically review the activities and paperwork requirements of department supervisors and cafeteria managers, and adjust requirements as appropriate.
- Enlist the input of the management team in setting strategic direction for cafeteria operations, evaluate input and incorporate best ideas into plans of action.
- Foster an environment in which open communication and feedback from principals and employees is encouraged and valued.
- May serve as administrator in charge during the director’s absence.
- Stay abreast of best practices, laws, regulations, policies, and emerging technologies related to school food service operations, and communicate to appropriate department personnel.
- Routinely visit district cafeterias to evaluate the effectiveness of operations.
- Ensure cross-functional support is provided to mainline operating functions, as appropriate.
- Initiate requisitions for equipment, food or supplies for the department as needed.
- Supervise the activities of direct reports in accordance with the district’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Perform all other tasks and duties as assigned.
- All federally funded incumbents of this position must comply with time and effort reporting requirements through personnel activity reports or periodic certification, as appropriate.
- Supervise assigned staff.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.