Assistant Director of Finance
Assists in the operations of the Business Department, directs and evaluates financial processes, and supervises professional and clerical personnel in the performance of various accounting functions.
Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in accounting, finance or related field
CPA and TASBO Certification preferred
Five (5) years of accounting and management experience
Knowledge of Texas Education agency (TEA) Financial Accountability System Resource Guide
Knowledge of applicable State of Texas and United States government and government agency compliance requirements
Knowledge of governmental accounting and auditing principals established by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
Experience with a strong knowledge of Oracle 12 financials applications
Ability to analyze and interpret financial data, evaluate accounting problems, develop data, and recommend improved procedures
Ability to use software to develop complex accounting reports, spreadsheets, and databases
Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Experience in public school finance
Major responsibilities and duties
- Maintain general ledger (including chart of accounts) in accordance with District needs.
- Ensure accounting systems comply with applicable laws and regulations including the Financial Accountability System Resource Guide.
- Ensure accounting system complies with the applicable requirements of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board and Financial Accounting Standards Board.
- Manage month end and year end close processes.
- Review and approve reconciliations, check requests, and TEA draw downs.
- Prepare financial and management reports.
- Manage the annual independent audit.
- Assist with preparing the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Prepare balance sheet and income statement reporting and analyses.
Records and Reports
- Prepare timely audit schedules and financial statements according to federal, state, and GASB standards.
- Compile, maintain, and submit all reports, records, and other required documentation, including auditable records and financial statements.
- Recruit, train, and supervise personnel and make sound recommendations relative to personnel placement, assignment, retention, discipline and dismissal; provide internal training to District staff regarding policies and procedures.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.