Assistant Director of Fleet Operations
Direct and manage district’s transportation fleet operations. Ensure safe and effective operations of the transportation department. Oversee maintenance of all district owned vehicles.
Bachelor’s degree or ten (10) ears; experience in school bus or commercial bus vehicle maintenance
Minimum five (5) years’ supervisory experience
Clear and valid driver’s license with CDL certification and P and S endorsements
TAPT Professional Certified Pupil Transportation Official (CTPTO)
Five (5) years’ supervisory experience in transportation vehicle maintenance
Ability to direct and manage operations of a large fleet of vehicles
Knowledge of energy management, vehicle repair, and maintenance
Ability to conduct on-site inspections of all vehicle repair and maintenance operations
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Ability to use technology to plan, operate, monitor and evaluate transportation operations
Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Major responsibilities and duties
- Assist with the hiring of vehicle maintenance employees.
- Assign duties to mechanics and other personnel.
- Maintain time and leave records for vehicle maintenance personnel.
- Ensure that transportation operations are supportive of the instructional goals of the district.
- Observe and implement all safety rules according to DOT regulations.
- Develop an annual forecast and plan for the replacement of the school bus fleet and the white fleet.
- Manage the overall acquisition and delivery process for the school bus and white fleets. Coordinate the fleet procurement process with the suppliers and purchasing department.
- Prepare various reports as required by the state, district, or department.
- Establish and oversee fleet maintenance programs to include annual state inspections and vehicle registrations.
- Conduct new employee orientation, including shop methods and operational procedures of the work site.
- Oversee the timely and cost effective repair of all district-owned vehicles and preventative maintenance.
- Ensure that vehicle repair requests and work orders are prioritized and processed in a timely manner.
- Manage effective departmental use of the RTA maintenance system and other technology support systems.
- Initiate and manage RFP process to contract for outside services that are not performed in the shop.
- Coordinate with the purchasing department on RFP related activities.
- Determine maintenance department equipment and service’s needs, evaluate equipment and services based on documented specifications, and provide recommendations for procurement decisions.
- Monitor performance of personnel to assure on time and quality completion of tasks.
- Attend professional growth activities to keep abreast of innovative techniques and technology in transportation fleet operations and maintenance.
- Respond to after-hours emergency calls as needed.
- Promote a positive image that supports the mission of the school district.
- Develop and administer budget based on operational needs.
- Ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed according to district policies and procedures.
- Manage the acquisition, scheduling, and cost of fuel consumption and usage.
- Assure compliance with departmental procedures, district policies, federal and state regulations and other laws, rules and regulations related to transportation of students.
- Prepare specifications for equipment and supplies, review bids, and recommend appropriate purchases.
- Manage the inventory control and procurement of replacement parts.
- Manage the annual redistribution of buses to parking locations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Evaluate all fleet operations/vehicle maintenance staff to include, Mechanics, Vehicle Maintenance Supervisors, vehicle Maintenance Inventory, Service Writer, Data Entry Clerk, General Vehicle Maintenance, Video Electronics Technician
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.