Assistant Director, Nutrition and Menu Operations
Plan, develop, and promote new and vibrant standard menus; ensure high quality of food served and oversee the development of effective marketing campaigns to advertise menu offerings.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Food Service Management, Nutrition or related field
School Nutrition Specialist or Master’s Degree, preferred
Clear and valid Texas driver’s license
A minimum of eight (8) years in a school food service operations and experience as assistant director in multi-unit operation, preferred
Demonstrated knowledge of the technology used to capture and analyze data
Demonstrated ability to analyze productivity measures to evaluate customer service satisfaction and adjust standard menu offerings accordingly
Demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of the food service industry
Demonstrate knowledge of nutrition, menu planning, nutrient analysis, and food based menus
Demonstrated ability to function effectively with all levels of management throughout the district
Demonstrated outstanding coaching and nurturing skills in leading a large, diverse organization
Demonstrated understanding of governmental requirements and ability to ensure department personnel understand their roles in complying with government regulations
Demonstrated ability to emphasize the importance of customer service to department personnel
Demonstrated organizational, communication, management and interpersonal skills required to achieve the goals of the position
Major responsibilities and duties
- Establish appropriate performance measures for evaluating customer satisfaction and participation, analyze performance measurement results and adjust standard menu offerings accordingly.
- Assemble a cross-functional menu committee and incorporate the committee’s input into the planning, design and promotion of standard menus.
- Develop and execute a strategic plan for menu coordination and training that supports the overall food services strategic plan, mission and vision.
- Work collaboratively with the menu committee, supervisors, other department personnel to develop effective marketing and promotional campaigns to advertise menu offerings.
- Monitor the success of promotional campaigns through personal observation and direct input from supervisors and cafeteria managers.
- Coordinate and execute customer satisfaction surveys and taste tests, and adjust standard menu selections accordingly.
- Oversee the automated and standardized collection of data related to participation, customer satisfaction and equipment performance.
- Develop bid specifications, and work closely with procurement to ensure good vendor relationships and compliance with contract requirements.
- Develop quality menus that meet USDA guidelines.
- Periodically review that activities and paperwork requirements of department supervisors and cafeteria managers, and adjust requirements as appropriate.
- Develop and implement a quality control program to ensure that food purchased, processed and distributed in the school district is safe from both microbiological and toxicity levels.
- Routinely visit district cafeterias to evaluate the quality of food and services.
- Foster an environment in which open communications and feedback from principals and employees is encouraged and valued.
- Initiate requisitions for equipment, food or supplies for the department as needed.
- Stay abreast of best practices, laws, regulations, policies and emerging technologies related to school food service operations, and communicate to appropriate department personnel.
- Supervise the activities of direct reports in accordance with the district’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- May serve as administrator in charge during the director’s absence.
- Perform all other tasks and duties as assigned.
- All federally funded incumbents of this position must comply with time and effort reporting requirements through personnel activity reports or periodic certification, as appropriate.
- Supervise assigned staff.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.