Assistant Director - Purchasing
Direct and manage the purchasing activities of the district. Ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations governing school district purchases of goods and services.
Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting
Three (3) years’ experience in federal program management
Knowledge of competitive bidding statutes and purchasing procedures
Knowledge of accounting and auditing principles
Proficiency skills in keyboarding and file maintenance
Ability to work with numbers in an accurate and rapid manner
Ability to use software to develop spreadsheets, databases, and do word processing
Ability to supervise personnel
Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Major responsibilities and duties
- Oversee purchase of materials and equipment for the district by competitive bids, competitive sealed proposals, requests for proposals, government catalog contract purchases, informal quotations, and negotiations following established district criteria and in compliance with state purchasing rules.
- Oversee preparation of all bidding documents, including notice and instructions to bidders, specifications, and form of proposal.
- Evaluate formal bids and make recommendations for the awarding of contracts to director of purchasing for school board approval.
- Obtain and evaluate comparative prices and quotations. Make purchasing decisions based on information obtained.
- Develop vendor and bidder lists and approve additions.
- Approve purchase orders and monitor all purchase requisitions to ensure accuracy of information, calculations, and coding.
- Administer contracts and handle adjustments with suppliers, including replacement of material not conforming to specifications, cancellation of orders, and receipt of proper credit.
- Maintain a contract calendar.
- Select, train, evaluate, and supervise purchasing staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Work cooperatively with district personnel to determine specific requirements and assist in locating necessary goods and services.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required, including auditable accounting records.
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of buyers.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.