Assistant Director of Transportation
Provide assistance to the Director of Transportation to ensure legally sound and effective management practices. Manage the routing of pupil transportation district-wide. Assign and schedule bus drivers, aides, routes and vehicles to ensure safe, efficient and economical transportation services.
Bachelor’s degree or five (5) years’ experience in the field of Transportation
Minimum three (3) years’ supervisory experience in a public school setting
Clear and valid driver’s license with CDL certification and P and S endorsements
Texas Association for Pupil Transportation Certification
Texas School Bus Driver Safety Training Certificate
Demonstrate working knowledge of public school bus transportation operations and procedures
Possess understanding of state laws as they apply to transportation
Exhibit highly effective organizational and consensus building skills
Major responsibilities and duties
- Assist in the supervision of all school bus operations personnel.
- Assist with staff development, meetings, and training of all employees.
- Perform personnel functions, such as interviewing, counseling, and directing, for the purpose of maintaining adequate staffing, enhancing productivity of personnel, and achieving department goals within budget.
- Supervise and evaluate staff and make recommendations relative to the assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Keep Director informed of the employment status of personnel and operations situations.
- Assist in planning of appropriate staff levels supporting optimal bus operations.
- Administrative presence on accident scene, working with Risk Management and public authorities.
- Assist in managing student eligibility process.
- Assist in completing state reports, capturing data to ensure accurate funding from the state.
- Prepare various reports as required by the state, district, or department.
- Implement federal and state laws, State Board of Education rules, and Board policy.
- Serve as a liaison in maintaining good rapport with students, parents, campuses, and community to optimize services and resolve conflicts.
- Respond to and resolve difficult/sensitive parent and citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Respond to after-hours emergency calls as needed.
- Monitor the effectiveness of bus driver behavior regarding student discipline.
- Assist director with assignment of bus drivers, bus routes, vehicles, and substitutes for mornings and afternoon shifts, field trips, and extra-curricular activities.
- Monitor workload and departmental cost to ensure the efficiency of operations to include the management of overtime, extended duty, and other operational expenses.
- Monitor the day-to-day business of the transportation department and advise Director of developments and situations that impact effective department operations.
- Serve in various leadership capacities as needed or assigned.
- Promote a positive image that supports the mission of the school district.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Supervise and evaluate transportation staff as directed by Director of Transportation.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.