Direct and manage assigned areas of instructional program and campus operations. Oversee assigned student activities and services.
Texas principal or other appropriate Texas certificate
Advanced Education Leadership (AEL) certification, Instructional Leadership Training (ILT), or Instructional Leadership Development (ILD)
Two (2) years’ experience as a classroom teacher
Knowledge of campus operations
Working knowledge of curriculum and instruction
Ability to evaluate instructional program and teaching effectiveness
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Ability to implement policy and procedures
Ability to interpret data
Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Major responsibilities and duties
- Encourage and support development of innovative instructional programs, helping teachers pilot such efforts when appropriate. Participate in program evaluation measures and make suggestions for improvement where needed.
- Reinforce expectations for staff performance with regard to instructional strategies and classroom management.
- Foster collegiality and team building among staff members. Encourage their active involvement in decision-making process.
- Take a leadership role in planning activities and implementing programs to ensure attainment of the school’s mission.
- Participate in development of campus improvement plans with staff, parents, and community members.
- Help principal develop, maintain, and use information systems to maintain records and track progress on campus performance objectives and academic excellence indicators.
- May act as campus behavioral coordinator in accordance with state laws and regulations.
- Work with faculty and students to develop a student discipline management system that results in positive student behavior and enhances the school climate.
- Ensure that school rules are uniformly applied and that student discipline is appropriate and equitable in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Conduct conferences about student and school issues with parents, students, and teachers.
- Ensure that students are adequately supervised during non-instructional periods.
Administration and Fiscal/Facilities Management
- Oversee campus operations in principal’s absence.
- Take a leadership role in planning and scheduling of daily school activities including the development of class schedules, teacher assignments, and extracurricular activity schedules.
- Oversee reporting and monitoring of student attendance and work with staff to identify and address issues.
- Work with department heads and faculty to compile annual budget requests based on documented program needs.
- Requisition supplies, textbooks, and equipment and monitor and maintain inventory in accordance with district procedures.
- Coordinate operational support services such as transportation, custodial, and cafeteria to best meet campus needs.
- Comply with district policies, state and federal laws, and regulation affecting schools.
- Observe employee performance, record observations, and conduct evaluation conferences as needed for designated teacher appraisal system.
- Assist principal in interviewing, selecting, and orienting new staff.
- Articulate the school’s mission to community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
- Demonstrate awareness of school-community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs using appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
- Supervise and evaluate the work of professional staff as assigned by the school principal. Direct the work of teachers, custodians, paraprofessionals, clerical personnel and others as assigned.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.