BE-ESL Clinic Nurse (RN)
Implement district health services program to best meets the needs of the student population on the assigned campus. Provide health services to students. Promote health and safety education for students and preventive health practices for students.
Graduate of an accredited professional nursing education program
Valid registered nurse license (RN) from the Texas Board of Nursing
Current automatic external defibrillator (AED) and cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificates
One year nursing experience
Knowledge of health appraisal to identify student health defects
Ability to implement policies and procedures
Knowledge of basic first aid
Proficient in keyboarding and file maintenance skills
Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Major responsibilities and duties
- Provide direct care using professional assessment skills, the nursing process, individualized healthcare plans (IHPs), and established school health protocols. Provide health counseling and instruction to individual students
- Assess student problems, communicate with parents regarding individual students, and ensure appropriate referrals and follow up as needed. Serve as a liaison between school personnel, the family, healthcare professionals, and the community
- Secure emergency medical care for students as needed. Assist school nurses with referrals
- Conduct head to toe assessment for medically fragile students. Collaborate with special education and enrollment center to appropriately placed students. Communicate with school and nurses regarding care and procedures to ensure safe integration of the student into the school environment
- Serve as health advocate for students
- Establish and implement effective procedures for carrying out mandatory screening programs
- May make home visits to help with student health problems as necessary
- Participate in development of campus health education curriculum, educate faculty and staff as needed on health related topics, and provide health education to individuals and groups including contributing to campus communications to parents and the local community regarding health issues
- Collaborate closely with campus principal, campus nurses and other staff and provide leadership to ensure a healthy school environment. Work to meet the health needs of the general school population and those students with identified health conditions
- Participate in Admission, Review, and Dismissal Committee (ARD) meetings of students with identified health needs. Advise campus administration in crisis or emergency situations and participate in assessment and reporting of suspected child abuse
- Work with BE/ESL nurse coordinator to develop and coordinate continuing evaluation of clinic outreach programs and make changes based on findings. Develop and recommend policies and procedures to promote the health and wellness of students and staff
- Supervise and train, clinic aids, or other school personnel who have responsibility for assisting student with health needs
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required, including clinic records and accurate and confidential student health records such as immunization records, medication administration records, and individual student treatment records
- Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, Texas Department of Health rule, State Board of Education rule, and board policy. Comply with all district and campus routines and regulations.
- Report potential health and safety hazards to BE/ESL Nurse Coordinator/BE/ESL Director
- Maintain professional nursing skills and knowledge as required by the Texas Nurse Practice Act and the Texas Board of Nursing including certification for mandated screenings and Basic Life Support for Healthcare providers (CPR/AED)
- Direct the work of licensed vocational nurse (LVN) and assigned health clinic aide(s).
Adapted from Recommended School Health Staff Roles published by the Texas Department of Health School Health Advisory Committee, January 14, 2013
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.