Bilingual Instructional Specialist
To advance student achievement among English language learners. Collaborate with SLAR coordinator to develop a vertically aligned, research-based, and effective curriculum. Provide teacher modeling, coaching, and staff development for SLAR teachers. In addition, assist with organizing, facilitating, and conducting ongoing professional development to support the district’s comprehensive literacy plan.
Valid Texas Teacher’s Certification and BE certification/endorsement
Five (5) years of successful classroom teaching experience in a BE classroom at multiple elementary grade levels
Bilingual/biliterate Spanish/English skills required
Experience with the implementation of instructional strategies that promote and enhance the academic and linguistic achievement of bilingual/dual language students
Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
Experience and knowledge of implementation of dual language, bilingual and sheltered instruction programs
Expertise in second language acquisition and culturally responsive pedagogy
Demonstrated strong organization, communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills required to achieve the goals of the position
Experience planning, developing and implementing professional development programs
Ability to interpret data
Major responsibilities and duties
Instructional and Program Management
- Work with SLAR curriculum coordinator to ensure effective implementation of Balanced Literacy strategies across the district.
- Observe classroom instruction and provide feedback and assistance to classroom teachers to facilitate improvement and innovation. Demonstrate teaching strategies with students in classroom.
- Provides support to teachers (emails, campus visits, etc.).
- Plan and provide staff development including sessions on methods for identifying and instructing dual language students and enriched learning.
- Assist with the development and revision of curriculum documents and instructional support materials including curriculum guides, course outlines and teaching plans.
- Work with other curriculum coordinators to establish and maintain challenging academic standards that will ensure that students learn English and Spanish as well as content information within established timeframes.
- Assist with the preparation of test materials.
- Assist with programs specific to the SLAR curriculum (Spelling Bee).
- Stays abreast of best practices in SLAR and best practices in teaching (attends all trainings that improve craft).
- Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule and the local board policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Budget & Inventory
- Participate in development, preparation, and administration of the budget for supplies and equipment and ensure that the program is cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Contribute to the selection and purchase of supplemental equipment and supplies for the program.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and the local board policy.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.