With the support of its community, Garland ISD passed a $455.5 million bond election in 2014 to enhance student safety, upgrade district technology and address aging facilities. A new natatorium and Career and Technical Education Center (CTE) also promise to increase learning opportunities and public resources.
In 2013-14, more than 2,000 students, staff, parents and community members helped GISD create its Strategic Plan, which will guide district decision-making through 2018. The group set a goal of providing a secure learning environment that allows active student participation and opportunities to collaborate through relevant content and instruction. A second group then designed the bond referendum, which includes:
- Remodeling front entrances to make campuses more secure
- New fire alarms, fire sprinklers, security cameras and access control systems
- Americans with Disabilities Act renovations
- Improvements to current technology infrastructure, upgraded wireless connectivity and additional devices for students
- Replacing windows, air conditioning units and heating systems
- New lights, bathrooms and concessions at high school baseball and softball fields to meet federal law requirements
- A Career and Technical Education facility that gives high schoolers equal access to CTE courses regardless of their campuses. It also allows GISD to implement new programs or expand existing ones
- A natatorium that provides a practice facility for the district’s swimming program and allows participation from all seven high schools. It also allows GISD to train every second-grader in water safety and offer open swim times to the public
- Expanding band and choir accommodations at the secondary level for program growth and increased Fine Arts enrollment
The district’s construction status website keeps voters informed of bond program progress and enlists local businesses. Visit www.garlandisdbond.com to see design, contracting and construction timelines, summary reports, photos and upcoming contracts available for bid. The website is also available in Spanish and Vietnamese.