Operate a school bus and related equipment to provide safe and orderly transportation of students and other authorized persons on assigned route and to and from other designated locations.
High School Diploma or GED
Clear and valid Texas Bus Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements
Must be at least 21 years of age
Prior experience as a certified school bus driver, desired
Ability to operate a school bus
Ability to complete required bus driver safety training
Professional radio communication skills
Ability to read and understand documents including policies and procedures manuals
Ability to read maps/interpret directions for route assigned
Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
Ability to pass U.S. Department of Transportation alcohol and drug tests and annual physical exam
Ability to manage student behavior
Major responsibilities and duties
- Drive a bus daily following assigned route and adhering to established schedules.
- Anticipate problems such as traffic, weather, road conditions and schedule changes and make necessary adjustments to ensure student safety and reduce delays
- Follow assigned bus route as directed
- Perform pre-trip inspections according to specifications to ensure bus can be operated safely.
- Display professionalism in dealing with students, parents, staff and community.
- Approach problem solving tactfully with directness and integrity.
- Exerts a positive influence and work in harmony with associates.
- Respond to suggestions for improvement in a positive manner.
- Report all accidents, vehicle damage, student injuries and mechanical problems.
- Maintain professional appearance.
- Must be mentally and physically able to perform job functions.
- Manifest support for and compliance with the philosophy, objectives, policies and procedures of Garland ISD
- Follow district policies pertaining to the individual assignment.
- Seek professional growth through continuing education and staff development.
- Be consistent in route departure/arrival time at designated bus stops.
- Exercise responsible leadership when transporting school children.
- Maintain discipline and use effective behavior management control over groups of students.
- Report student discipline problems to appropriate administrator.
- Observe all traffic laws and safety regulations for school buses.
- Keep assigned bus clean at all times.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.