Certification Specialist 1
Work under moderate supervision to verify and monitor certification status of applicants and employees. Confirm district compliance with state and federal certification and licensing requirements.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
Three (3) years human resources experience
Five (5) years clerical experience, including the human resources experience
Experience with Oracle and Outlook, preferred
Proficiency with Google Suite and MS Office, preferred
Ability to understand and implement certification rules and procedures
Ability to use software to develop spreadsheets, databases, and do word processing
Ability to effectively present information to other employees in one-on-one and small group situations
Effective and strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to prioritize workflow for themselves to address the multiple needs of the supervisor or department
Ability or organize and multi-task in a high-volume, fast-paced work environment; with extended hours during peak times
Ability to maintain accurate records
Detail-oriented and flexibility under pressure
Ability to complete assignments with short deadlines
Ability to exercise good judgment in handling confidential information
Major responsibilities and duties
Certification and Licensing
- Process teacher and paraprofessional hire recommendations and verify certification with the Texas State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC), universities, colleges, and education agencies in other states.
- Assist principals and directors of human resources (HR) in identifying appropriate requirements for teacher and paraprofessional assignments according to state and federal assignment criteria.
- Track certification, testing, and permit status and follow-up with employees to ensure completion of certification requirements within established timelines. Process state permit applications and monitor permit status.
- Research and maintain current information on state and federal rules, certification requirements and processes, and testing dates.
Records, Reports, and Correspondence
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents as required including maintaining a database of certification and licensing information for certified or licensed professionals, paraprofessionals, and auxiliary employees.
- Prepare correspondence, forms and reports according to district standards and requirements
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.