Coordinator - Special Education
To provide leadership for the implementation of Special Education Programs which advance achievement for students served through special education. Support campuses to ensure these students are provided a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) through individualized education programs. Collaborate with parents, teachers, principals, and support personnel regarding instructional issues in the area of special education, district-wide initiatives and program requirements. Monitor compliance with all state, federal, and local requirements under the supervision of the district special education director.
Master’s degree in relevant educational field
Completed Mid-Management or Principal Certificate
Valid Texas Special Education certification/endorsement
Five (5) years of successful teaching experience in a special education classroom
Three (3) years of leadership experience at the campus and/or district level
Extensive knowledge of state and federal laws pertaining to Special Education
Expertise in ARD development and compliance
Experience in project design, implementation, and monitoring of special education programs
Experience planning, developing and implementing professional development programs
Experience with TEKS-based instruction and assessment programs
Experience working with district departments to integrate system-wide activities to meet targets
Proficiency with technology including multi-media technology
Demonstrated strong organizational, communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills required to achieve the goals of the position
Major responsibilities and duties
Instructional and Program Management
- Assists in the development and delivery of special education curriculum and instructional programs that incorporate district goals and support student achievement. Ensure that curriculum renewal is continuous and responsive to student needs.
- Ensures the special education referral process is effective and that student assessments and recommendations regarding placement and program management for individual students are completed in a timely manner.
- Monitors the admission, review, and dismissal (ARD) process districtwide. Ensure that students are placed appropriately and development of individualized education programs for students are consistent with district procedures. Ensure that student progress is evaluated on a systematic basis. Attend ARDs as needed.
- Obtains and uses evaluative findings (including student achievement data) to gauge special education program effectiveness. Recommend changes when warranted. Develop and implement training for campus and special education support staff based on findings and needs assessment.
- Ensures that the necessary time, resources, materials, and technology to support and accomplish educational goals are available. Develop and support implementation of innovative instruction and programs.
- Assists with transition series for special education students entering and exiting public school programs.
- Assists in formulating and implementing contracts for special education students receiving services outside of the district.
- Provides leadership for assessing, developing and improving climate and culture for students in special education.
- Demonstrate support for the district’s student management policies and expected student behavior related to special education program.
Policy, Reports and Law
- Works to ensure that schools are in compliance with federal, state and local board policy requirements outlined in statute, education code, administrative code and policy for students in special education.
- Prepares federal/state/local reports accurately and timely and makes local recommendations relative to the Special Education programs as requested.
- Assists with the supervision of the writing/distribution of the Special Education program manuals and forms as requested.
Budget and Inventory
- Participates in development, preparation, and administration of the budget for essential supplies and equipment and ensure that the program is cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Effectively and efficiently organizes and sustains resources, and implements processes and systems to support teaching, learning, and organizational effectiveness consistent with the district’s vision and goals for students in special education.
- Participates in grant-writing activities to obtain program funding.
- Prepares, reviews and revises job descriptions in the Special Education department.
- Helps select, train, supervise and evaluate staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline and removal.
- Systematically and fairly recognizes and celebrates accomplishments of staff and students.
Communications and Community Relations
- Establishes and maintains a professional relationship and open communication with principals, teachers, staff, parents and community members.
- Collaboratively establishes a culture that welcomes and honors families and community and seeks ways to engage them in student learning.
- Articulates the district’s mission and goals in the area of Special Education to the community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
- Supervises and evaluates program professionals and secretary.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.