Director Food Services
Direct and manage the child nutrition operations of the district. Plan and implement programs that meet regulatory and nutritional requirements for students, promote development of sound nutritional practices and maintain a safe and sanitary environment.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Food Service Management, or related field
School Nutrition Specialist or Master’s Degree, preferred
Clear and valid Texas driver’s license
A minimum of ten (10) years in a school food service operation
Experience as a director in multi-unit operation, preferred
Demonstrated competence in fiscal management
Demonstrated ability to function effectively with all levels of management within and across district departments
Demonstrated skills in personnel management and strong interpersonal skills
Demonstrated ability to communicate to meet the communications diversity of the community, district staff members and the public at large
Major responsibilities and duties
Food Service Operations
- Direct and manage the district’s child nutrition programs.
- Provide strategic planning and organizational structure to assure department goals achieve success as related to student nutrition services.
- Establish system of menu development, procurement, production, staff development & training, food and supply distribution, technology management, business functions for meal accountability and federal/state reimbursement claims, nutrition education and marketing initiatives.
- Work cooperatively with campus principals to create lunch schedules and resolve personnel issues.
- Establish and direct process of providing free and reduced lunch applications following United States Department of Agriculture and Texas Department of Agriculture guidelines for meal eligibility and reimbursement of federal funds.
- Develop and maintain written procedures for all food service operations.
- Serve as district representative and/or spokesperson on nutrition issues and inquiries in collaboration with Communications department.
Budget and Inventory
- Develop and administer budget based on documented needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed prudently.
- Work cooperatively to develop and implement cost effective and efficient food procurement and inventory system that meets both federal and Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) standards.
- Assist with the evaluation of formal bids and make recommendations for the awarding of contracts for school board approval.
- Approve and forward invoices and purchase orders for food service department to accounting department.
- Develop and implement inventory and stock control program for equipment and supplies and recommend replacement and disposal of obsolete equipment as necessary.
Policy, Reports, and Law
- Implement federal and state law, state board of education rules and board policy.
- Compile, maintain and file all reports, records and other documents required.
- Ensure that employee time records are accurately maintained and data necessary to process food service payroll is delivered in a timely manner.
- Select, train, supervise and evaluate staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline and dismissal.
- Prepare, review and revise job descriptions for Student Nutrition Services Department positions.
- Develop training options and improvement plans to ensure exemplary operation in the food service area.
- Ensure that measures are in place and operating to protect food, supplies and equipment in school cafeterias, lunchrooms and warehouses.
- Maintain safety standards that confirm with federal, state and insurance regulations and develop a program of preventive safety.
- Organize and conduct training programs to promote safe food handling and a safe work environment.
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of campus cafeteria managers, supervisors and support staff assigned to the Student Nutrition Services Department. Supervise the activities of the Student Nutrition Services Department in accordance with district policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.