Director of Human Resources
Administer the district’s personnel management system in accordance with district, state and federal laws and regulations to ensure selection and placement of qualified personnel. Implement the district application and screening process and ensure that the district is represented as an attractive employer.
Valid T.E.A. administrator certificate
Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in public school administration
Knowledge of the section, training, and supervision of personnel
Ability to implement policy and procedures
Ability to interpret data
Ability to use software to develop spreadsheets, perform data analysis, and do word processing
Ability to develop and deliver training to adult learners
Excellent public relations, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Major responsibilities and duties
Human Resources Department Management
- Work with principals, supervisors and recruitment coordinators to identify and select personnel for all assignments. Screen and interview applicants and recommend candidates for final interview or hire.
- Assist with the development and implementation of effective recruitment strategies, Analyze results annually and make changes as needed.
- Represent the district at key recruiting fairs and events.
- Develop and maintain active relationships with college and university career teacher preparation officials and placement offices, regional Education Service Center staff, professional associations, and other recruiting resource organizations.
- Direct and monitor employee performance appraisal system and ensure that supervisors have proper training. Assist supervisors and principals with employee counseling, improvement plans, and due-process procedures, where needed.
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate HR staff and make sound recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Ensure district compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
- Work with principals and other administrators to forecast staffing needs and develop staffing plans. Develop and implement recruitment and retention strategies and a screening and selection process for all employees.
- Ensure that all teachers are highly-qualified and have the appropriate credentials for assignments.
- Provide a system for new employees to acquire appropriate information, support, and training necessary for success on the job.
- Assist with all aspects of contract administration.
- Oversee the employment application and screening process, monitor for effectiveness, and make recommendations for changes as needed.
- Administer the employee transfer process.
- Take a proactive role in identifying and responding to issues of interest to employees; work in collaboration with district leadership to ensure preemptive and effective employee communications.
- Facilitate the employee grievance procedure adopted by the board, Direct the investigation, analysis, and decision making process regarding personnel problems and/or other related policy issues.
- Interpret policies and procedures and ensure support of campus on employment, record keeping, retirement, grievance and other personnel matters and procedures.
- Conduct annual research regarding employee satisfaction, morale, and communications. Monitor employee retention and turnover through analysis of data and exit interviews.
- Ensure that the employee handbook is created, updated annually, and distributed. Implement procedures to ensure that employees are informed of personnel policies, procedures, and programs that affect them.
- Compile, maintain, and file related reports, records, and other documents required.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy.
- Stay abreast of current research and best practices in human resources management and development in educational and non-educational-related settings, and assist with the adjustment of plans, policies and procedures accordingly.
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend hiring and dismissal of human resource department employees as assigned by the Executive Director of Human Resources.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.