Director of Research, Assessment & Accountability
To provide vision and leadership for the Research, Assessment, & Accountability Department. To promote comprehensive assessment program that is consistent and flexible to monitor student performance and progress. To plan, develop, and coordinate research, analysis, measurement, and reporting of data and other critical information for testing and programs in order to provide high quality, well-focused support for the highest academic achievement priorities set by the district for the campuses. Monitor, communicate, and respond to local, state and federal accountability systems. Collaborate with district staff and outside personnel to formulate, develop, implement, and evaluate assessment and accountability programs.
Master’s degree in education from an accredited university
Doctorate degree preferred
Valid Texas Mid-Management or other appropriate Texas administrative certificate
Minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a classroom teacher
Minimum of two (2) years’ PK-12 principal experience and/or central office leadership experience
Five (5) years of successful experience in public school leadership
Three (3) years of experience in assessment, accountability and/or research, preferred
Demonstrated experience managing, analyzing, and reporting data to inform decision-making
Extensive coursework in evaluation, educational measurement, and educational research preferred
Experience with State of Texas accountability System
Experience working collaboratively across key departments of a school district
Experience working with both elementary and secondary level schools and programs
Ability to analyze data, create reports, and make recommendations
Knowledge of state and federal accountability systems
Experience in the use of databases, spreadsheets, and statistical software packages
Experience in conducting staff development and/or training
Demonstrated leadership skills at the campus/district level
Ability to work collaboratively with classroom teachers, educational leaders, school trustees, and community members
Strong organizational, communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills
Ability to work well with a diverse population
Major responsibilities and duties
Assessment & Accountability Program Management
- Supervise, oversee, and evaluate Research, Assessment & Accountability staff.
- Monitor state and federal accountability reporting to ensure campus/district leaders are provided with timely information.
- Advise superintendent or designated administrator of student assessment results and campus/district accountability performance.
- Prepare student assessment and school/district accountability reports, trainings, and presentations for school board and campus/district staff.
- Serve as liaison between school/district and other agencies related to state and federal accountability systems.
- Provide assistance to campus/district leadership with the requirements of the Texas Accountability Intervention System (TAIS), including data analysis, ongoing support, review of ongoing progress, and submission of required documentation.
- Provide resources and materials t support staff in accomplishing student assessment, program, and campus/district accountability goals, including use of quality tools, charts, surveys, quantitative/qualitative analysis, and research-based solutions for reports.
- Facilitate data accessibility and data gathering for strategic, district and campus plans.
- Obtain and use evaluative findings, including student performance data, to examine curriculum and instruction program effectiveness.
- Participate in the drafting of project proposals and reports, including the writing and development of program goals, objectives, and evaluation of effectiveness.
- Consult with parents, administrators, counselors, teachers, community agencies and other relevant individuals regarding the student assessment, school/district accountability, research, and data analysis.
- Coordinate internal district research and development.
- Evaluate merits of proposed external research projects.
- Compile budget and cost estimates so support office efficiency, as well as the implementation of a cohesive assessment program.
Policy, Reports, and Law Responsibilities
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required, including mandatory reports to TEA.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state law. State Board of Education rule, and local school board policy.
- Monitor state and federal legislative processes for potential impact on assessment and accountability systems.
- Supervise employees in Research, Assessment & Accountability Department.
- Provide overall department direction, coordination, and evaluation, carrying supervisory responsibilities in accordance with district policies and applicable laws, including: interviewing; training; directing work; conducting staff appraisals, providing staff acknowledgements and disciplinary consequences; addressing complaints and resolving problems; and handling department fiscal matters.
- Co-facilitate Districtwide Education Improvement Committee (DEIC).
- Articulate the district’s mission, instructional philosophy and curriculum implementation strategies to the community and solicit its support in realizing the district’s mission.
- Use effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
- Demonstrate awareness of district-community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs.
- Demonstrate use of appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Pursue professional development through reading, attending conferences, and being involved with related agencies and organizations.
Additional Supervisory Responsibilities
- Supervise assigned staff.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.