Ensure the safe and efficient transportation of students and employees by effective scheduling of vehicles and assimilation of information to appropriate personnel.
High School Diploma or GED
Must have a clear and valid Texas Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements
Annual physical examination
Satisfactory annual driver’s license and criminal history checks
Successful completion of all state and local training courses
Must be a least 21 years of age
Minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a certified school bus driver
Ability to operate a school bus
Proficient skills in keyboarding, data entry, work processing and file maintenance
Ability to work under pressure and prioritize effectively while maintaining composure and responding in an appropriate manner
Effective telephone, radio and communication skills
Ability to receive and give written and verbal instructions effectively
Ability to read and understand documents including policies and procedures manuals
Ability to pass alcohol and drug tests and annual physical
Proficient map reading skills
Proficient skills in operating a personal computer utilizing Microsoft Office applications
Major responsibilities and duties
- Make decisions affecting the assignments of substitute drivers, substitute aides, bus route changes and vehicle substitutes for each morning and afternoon shift.
- Evaluate information received and make temporary adjustments to student bus assignments and/or re-routing of buses to avoid congested traffic areas or to solve student delivery problems (overcrowding, discipline or timing).
- Receive and record driver and attendance absence calls.
- Answer, record and route internal and external telephone calls.
- Monitor and respond to two-way radio communications.
- Monitor, record and respond appropriately to emergency calls and situations.
- Record, copy, file and distribute route information, instructions, bulletins, notices, memos and messages to staff and drivers.
- Report all accidents to proper authorities with required information.
- Maintain all required physical and computerized logs, worksheets, files and reports related to dispatch operations.
- Coordinate the response effort in the event of a breakdown or accident.
- Assist in assigning vehicles for administrative trips as requested and approved.
- Assist in maintaining key control inventory.
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
- Follow all rules and directives for bus drivers when substituting on a bus route.
- Perform other duties and assist in all special projects as assigned in a timely manner.
- Assist in coordinating substitute aide assignments.
- Assist in coordination of spare bus assignments with the field trip dispatcher, mechanics and supervisor on duty.
- Supervise assigned routes and drivers.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.