Executive Director of Budget
Support the financial and business operations of the district including budget, position administration, purchasing, and risk management. Set appropriations for district and campus programs and include items for emergency funds. Review operating budgets to analyze budget-to-actual performance and to identify trends affecting budgetary needs. Provides managerial supervisory skills and the ability to plan, establish, and direct priorities for the areas supervised.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business required
TASBO Certification or willingness to obtain certification
Three (3) years supervisory experience required
Five (5) years’ experience in governmental accounting and budgeting with knowledge of the Texas Education Agency Financial Accountability System Resource Guide and Public Education Information Management System (PEIMS)
Knowledge of Texas Education Agency (TEA) Financial Accountability System Resource Guide.
Knowledge of applicable State of Texas and United States government and government agency compliance requirements.
Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), governmental accounting principles and encumbrance accounting.
Understanding of Risk Management Program preferred
Knowledge of federal rules and regulations concerning procurement
Major responsibilities and duties
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and the development of long and short range objectives for the business operations of the district.
- Prepare and/or approve all budget adjustments, additions, and deletions within the district’s financial system.
- Prepare reports for the GISD School board for approval of budget transfers and amendments and the budget developments for the upcoming fiscal year.
- Ensure that budget systems comply with applicable laws and regulations including the Texas Education Agency (TEA) Financial Accountability System Resources Guide, budget functions are supportive of the instructional goals of the district.
- Maintain a continuous auditing program for all funds.
- Direct department operations, the maintenance of series and the implementation of new programs and/or processes, and ensuring compliance with legal, financial and district requirements within established time frames.
- Develops budget calendar, reports for the district, and provides budget input training for all campuses and departments.
- Responsible for successful manual development and implementation of original and current budgets.
- Monitor budget allocations and expenditures, for the purpose of ensuring that allocations are accurate and within budget limits.
- Compiles data for the purpose of analyzing issues, calculating year-end projections, forecasting next year original budget, and ensuring compliance with organizational policies and procedures, and/or monitoring program components.
- Prepares materials and facilitate meetings, workshops, trainings, etc. for the purpose of education and supporting GISD staff, identifying issues or needs, and developing recommendations.
- Develops, monitors and maintains payroll budgets for the purpose of maintaining adequate funding as necessary for payroll functions, and year-end projections and forecasting next year’s original budget.
- Participates in meetings, workshops, seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
- Performs supervisory functions including evaluating, supervising, training, and approving, for the purpose of maintaining adequate staffing, enhancing productivity of personnel and achieving objectives within budget.
- Evaluates product options and implements new budget and module as necessary.
- Researches financial topics and related codification issues for the purpose of evaluating compliance requirements and potential implications on district operations.
- Keeps the CFO informed on the business operations of the district.
- Other duties as assigned.
Policies, Reports and Law
- Implement policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy in areas of procurement, risk management, financial and business operations.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required.
- Develop financial information for submission to TEA.
- Review and evaluate district budgets and related budget reports.
- Enhance, implement and document financial, accounting and budgeting policies and procedures to increase operational effectiveness and provide best-practices internal controls.
- Draft and maintain Budget Guidelines Manual for yearly fiscal operations and planning.
- Prepare, review, and revise job descriptions for the budget department and director positions responsible for supervising.
- Develop training options and/or improvement plans to ensure exemplary procurement, risk management, and business operations.
- Supervise and evaluate employees in the Budget Department, the Director of Position Administration, Director of Purchasing, and the Director of Risk Management and make recommendations relative to assignment.
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of staff assigned to departments and others as assigned by the CFO.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.