Executive Director of Communications and Public Relations
Effectively and continuously promote the district, share good news about student, staff and district achievements, and provide timely and effective information to educate and empower families, staff and the community. Enhance the reputation of the school district with all stakeholders and the media.
Minimum of five (5) years journalism, communications, and/or public relations experience
Excellent public relations, organizational, communication, managerial and interpersonal skills
Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees, parents, media, and the public
Ability to communicate effectively and professionally in writing and speaking
Superior writing ability
Thorough knowledge of media public relations functions
Understanding of crisis communications
Successful experience with bond and/or TRE referenda
Major responsibilities and duties
Public and Community Relations
- Serve as district spokesperson with media.
- Ensure that public information activities contribute to and are aligned with district goals and objectives.
- Supervise the design, preparation, and editing of district publications including print, website, video and social media.
- Supervise crisis communication in conjunction with district security.
- Supervise the departments of communications, education foundation, web services, GRS-TV, printing services, Harris Hill building and reception.
- Innovate GISD publications and initiative to showcase the district’s efforts
Policies, Reports, and Law
- Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records and other documents as required.
- Develop and administer the department budget based on documented needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Develop training options and/or improvement plans to ensure exemplary operation of the communications function.
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring of the Director of Communications, President of the Garland Education Foundation, Coordinator of Web Services, Coordinator of GRS-TV, Coordinator of Printing Services, Harris Hill front lobby receptionists and Harris Hill Facilities Manager.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.