Executive Technology Officer
The Executive Technology officer will provide direction for the Garland Independent School District technology program. The Executive Technology Officer supervises the integration of technology into school district operations in the areas on instruction, management and support services. The Executive Technology Officer will serve as the primary resource in the area of instructional technology and curriculum integration, software systems integration, hardware systems integration and network systems integration by working with administrators to achieve the district technology plan. The Executive Technology Officer will serve as the primary resource for the selection of technology systems, media systems and programs in collaboration with appropriate departments.
Bachelor’s degree required
Master’s degree Preferred (Master’s degree in Educational Administration, Information technology, Information Systems, Computer Science, Instructional Technology, or related disciplines preferred
Technology Specializations and/or certifications preferred
Prefer minimum eight (8) years’ experience in technology systems in technology systems and/or administrative computer systems management, support, and/or maintenance to include such areas as technology policy and protocols; analysis, design, and development of software and database applications; data integrity efforts; disaster recovery and backup storage concepts; wide area and local area network (WAN/LAN) management
Proficiency in team building, collaboration, and project management
Technology proficiency in varied software and hardware applications as related to technology systems is required
Skilled in technology evaluation and selection as appropriate for educational purposes
Able to assess systems and programs regarding technology implementation to ensure interoperability, integration, and security
Understanding of wide area and local area network management
Major responsibilities and duties
- Works with the Superintendent and Executive Leadership team to coordinate the inclusion of instructional technology into all curricular areas.
- Works with the Chief Financial Officer and appropriate staff to coordinate the 1:1 program for the school district.
- To direct the design and implementation of technology and media systems for the School District.
- Manages district accounts for technology and media.
- Makes recommendations for the purchase of technology and media equipment.
- Directs the selection of system wide software programs.
- Meets regularly with the technology and media staff to coordinate their work activities.
- Evaluates the district technology and media staff.
- Develops relationships with vendors and contractors to form partnerships for the enhancement of the school district technology program.
- Monitor disaster recovery plan, network security plan, data governance/management plan, and enterprise network plan.
- Maintain and monitor IT asset management, an accurate department inventory, and evaluate the requests make by schools and departments.
- Oversee the planning, coordination, and management of all major technology initiatives within GISD, including the 1:1 technology program.
- Coordinate the development of Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and oversee the writing of the technical bid specifications and the evaluation criteria for soliciting appropriate hardware and software vendors.
- Serves as the technology liaison to Region 10.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the field by reading journals and research; attending meetings. Conferences and seminars related to technology and facility design; and keeping close open contact with vendors.
- Foster a culture of accountability so that all technology staff know what they need to achieve in order to be considered successful.
- Provide appropriate autonomy to lead technical experts, while holding them accountable for overall success of their subsystems and projects.
- Help to create a growth path for all staff through such efforts as peer-to-peer mentoring and cross-training, while also incentivizing.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Directly supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of assigned staff members based on organizational chart.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.