Recognizing athletic excellence across Garland ISD, the Garland Sports Hall of Fame recently celebrated several students and one legendary coach.
Every year, just one male and one female athlete from all seven GISD high schools is chosen as a Gale Fields Award nominee. This award not only recognizes students who excel in and out of athletics. It also recognizes those who demonstrate leadership among their campuses and teams, as well as give back to their communities.
To be selected as a nominee from among hundreds of athletes at each school is an honor in and of itself. But during the annual Garland Sports Hall of Fame banquet April 25, two students also received a $1,000 scholarship when they were named the 2018 Gale Fields Award winners. See a list of nominees and winners below.
Sachse High School coach Donna McCullough was recognized by the Garland Sports Hall of Fame April 25 as well. She is one of just four 2018 inductees.
Honored for her impact on sports in Garland ISD, as well as the tri-cities, McCullough has coached in GISD for 25 years—11 at Garland High School and 14 at SHS. This year, she led the Lady Mustangs to Sachse history with a Final Four finish at the UIL state tournament. Throughout her career, McCullough’s teams have also earned 41 district game wins in a row, three undefeated district seasons, seven district championship titles, 16 playoff appearances, and two regional championship appearances with one title. McCullough has 424 career wins to date and has also earned seven District Coach of the Year honors.
- Cayden Etheridge – Rowlett High School soccer
- Lazaro Garcia-Salazar – South Garland High School football, powerlifting and track
- Jacob Gharis – Garland High School football
- Victoria Gunther – Naaman Forest High School softball
- Taylor Jones – North Garland High School cross country and track
- Tina Khuu – Sachse High School tennis
- Jalen Mayden (winner) – Sachse High School football and track
- Cesar Montemayor – Naaman Forest High School cross country and soccer
- Emmanuel Nwawuihe – North Garland High School football and track
- Nicolas Rene – Lakeview Centennial High School basketball
- Margaret Rymer – Lakeview Centennial High School track and volleyball
- Emmett Seals Jr. – Rowlett High School football and track
- Samyri Stillwell – South Garland High School basketball, track and volleyball
- Sierra Stone (winner) – Garland High School softball and volleyball