In 2005, the Texas School Counselor Association began a program called CREST to recognize schools with outstanding counselors. CREST stands for Counselors Reinforcing Excellence for Students in Texas.
Awards are given to schools that demonstrate their commitment to improving the lives and achievement of students in academic, career and social domains. A panel of judges determines if candidates achieve that standard based on seven areas: Principal’s Support, School Counseling Advisory Council, School Climate and Safety, Student Results, Major Achievements, Community Partnerships and Resources, and Parent Collaboration.
This year, just 62 campuses statewide earned the CREST distinction, and 19 of them are in Garland ISD. That means the district represents nearly one-third of all winners. This 2016-17 honor marks a second-consecutive award for seven GISD schools.
The entire group was recognize at the statewide School Counselor Conference in early February and by the district's Board of Trustees May 9. A list of GISD's 2016-17 CREST winners is below.
- Back Elementary School
- Beaver Technology Center
- Bullock Elementary School - second-consecutive award
- Cisneros Prekindergarten School
- Classical Center at Brandenburg
- Dorsey Elementary School
- Garland Alternative Education Center
- Garland High School - second-consecutive award
- Jackson Technology Center
- Naaman Forest High School - second-consecutive award
- North Garland High School
- O’Banion Middle School
- Park Crest Elementary School - second-consecutive award
- Sachse High School
- Sam Houston Middle School
- Shorehaven Elementary School
- Stephens Elementary School - second-consecutive award
- Walnut Glen Academy - second-consecutive award
- Weaver Elementary School - second-consecutive award