Homeless and foster care resources

Homeless resources

The Federal McKinney-Vento Act and Texas State Law guarantee that you can enroll in school if you live:

  • in a shelter (family shelter, domestic violence shelter, youth shelter, or transitional living program)
  • in a motel, hotel, or weekly-rate housing
  • in a house or an apartment with more than one family because of an economic hardship or loss
  • in an abandoned building or a car, at a campground, or on the street
  • in temporary foster care or with an adult who is not your parent or legal guardian
  • in a substandard housing (no electricity, no water, and/or no heat)
  • with friends or family because you are runaway or unaccompanied youth

If you live in one of these situations, you do not need to provide the following to enroll in school:

  • proof of residency
  • immunization records or TB skin test result
  • birth records
  • legal guardianship papers

You may also:

  • continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled, even if you have moved away from the school’s attendance zone or district
  • receive transportation from your current residence back to your school of origin
  • qualify automatically for Child Nutrition Programs (free school meals)
  • participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible
  • contact the district liaison to resolve any disputes that arise during the enrollment process

Visit the following links for additional information and resources:

Area resources

Community resources including childcare, clothing, medical and more

Community resources including childcare, clothing, medical and more - Spanish

Charitable Clinics in Dallas County

Second Chance Properties

Shelter List

Food pantries in Garland

Cold weather shelter

The Garland Overnight Warming Station (GLOWS) Coalition is committed to providing emergency sheltering during life-threatening cold weather for residents and displaced individuals in need of temporary assistance. The overnight warming station is located at Axe Memorial United Methodist Church, 1700 W. Kingsley Road, Garland, 75041.

The shelter activates if one of the following criteria is met:

  • 32 degrees or less with at least a 20% chance of precipitation
  • 25  degrees or less with no precipitation forecast

For more information, contact GLOWS Chairman, Mike Bencheck at 972-853-1523 or mike@matthew2540project.org.

Contact us

For more information about homeless resources, contact:

Student Services

Foster care resources

What documentation is required for enrolling a student who is in Foster Care?

  • Foster parents are required upon enrollment to submit a Form 2085E or court order showing the student is in the care and custody of DFPS and has been placed with the person completing the enrollment.
  • Students in foster or substitute care must be enrolled immediately even if they lack the required documents.

Who can answer questions about foster care in Garland ISD?

  • Each campus has a Campus Champion designated to assist foster parents and students with their educational needs.
  • The Student Services Case Manager for Foster Care is Emily Jandrucko. She can be reached at 972-494-8255.
  • As mandated by Texas statute, Garland ISD has a Foster Care Liaison: Wendy Brower, Student Services Coordinator, 972-494-8255.

How does my foster student qualify for free/reduced lunch?

  • Students who are enrolled with a Form 2085E or Court Order showing they are in the care and custody of DFPS automatically qualify for free lunch and are coded by Student Services.

Are uniforms and supplies available for foster students with an immediate need?

  • Yes, foster students may qualify for assistance through the GRS Giving Place. Contact your school counselor or Emily Jandrucko for more information.

Can my foster student stay in the school where he/she was enrolled when they entered foster care?

Yes. Foster students are entitled to remain in the school where enrolled at the time they entered substitute care until they transition from that building level (elementary to middle or middle to high school) as long as the foster care provider is willing to ensure the student’s transportation. 

Contact us

For more information about foster care resources, contact:

Student Services