Magnet testing & auditions
Some magnet program requirements are based on auditions/observations and test scores.
Magnet programs that require an audition or portfolio:
- Academy for Excellence - Art and music program
- Academy of Visual and Performing Art
The Montessori magnet program requires an on-site observation and assessment.
Current Garland ISD students are tested on their home campus. Ability tests are given in kindergarten, first-grade and fifth-grade. Achievement tests include the MAP for grades K-8 and the PSAT for grades 9-11.
If a student is missing assessment scores required for the desired program, the parent must schedule a test session via the magnet application. If an audition or portfolio is required, the parent must schedule an appointment via the magnet application.
Magnet programs that require reading and math achievement test scores:
- Math, Science and Technology (MST)
- Dual Language
- Mandarin Chinese
- Global Business
- College and Career
- Collegiate Academy
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Academy for Excellence - Academic program*
*The Academy for Excellence - Academic program requires both an ability test score and reading and math achievement test scores.
Magnet testing for students new to the district
If a student is not currently attending a Garland ISD school, they will either need to provide test scores from their previous district or sign up for a testing appointment. Read below for details. See the timeline on the Magnet application process and timelines page for specific dates.
Prekindergarten students will be tested on designated testing dates.
K-11 students must submit reading and math achievement scores as well as ability test scores. Official test score reports must be submitted to GISDmagnetprograms@garlandisd.net prior to the first testing date for the application period.
Students who do not have scores from the previous district will need to sign up for a testing appointment. Students will take an online assessment for achievement and ability on designated testing dates.
Out-of-district assessments accepted
The following are examples of tests that we accept.
- Measures of Academic Progress (MAP)
- Iowa Tests (ITBS)
- Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT)
- Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT)
Appealing a score
Parent may submit a written request for a retest if:
- Test results indicate a testing irregularity (significant drop in score in subject area compared to prior year results).
- Student experienced a medical event on or near date of testing (illness, diagnosis, change in medication).
- Student experienced a death in the family within 10 days of testing.
Written requests should be emailed to GISDMagnetPrograms@garlandisd.net along with supporting documentation before the end of the magnet application window. See the timeline on the Magnet application process and timelines page for dates.
If a retest is granted, parents will be notified for scheduling.