Magnet program requirements may include performance assessments, portfolios, observations and test scores.
Performance assessments, portfolios and observations
Magnet programs that require a performance assessment or portfolio:
- Academy for Excellence - Art and music program
- Academy of Visual and Performing Art
The Montessori magnet program requires an on-site observation and assessment.
Current Garland ISD students are tested on their home campus. Ability tests are given in kindergarten, first-grade and fifth-grade. Achievement tests include the MAP for grades K-8 and the PSAT for grades 9-11.
If a student is missing assessment scores required for the desired program, the parent must schedule a test session via the magnet application. If a performance assessment or portfolio review is required, the parent must schedule an appointment via the magnet application.
Magnet programs that require reading and math achievement test scores:
- Math, Science and Technology (MST)
- Dual Language
- Mandarin Chinese
- Global Business
- College and Career
- Collegiate Academy
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Academy for Excellence - Academic program*
*The Academy for Excellence - Academic program requires both an ability test score and reading and math achievement test scores.
Magnet testing for students new to the district
If a student is not currently attending a Garland ISD school, they will either need to provide test scores from their previous district or sign up for a testing appointment. Read below for details. See the timeline on the Magnet application process and timelines page for specific dates.
Prekindergarten students will be tested on designated testing dates.
K-11 students must submit reading and math achievement scores as well as ability test scores. Official test score reports must be submitted to GISDmagnetprograms@garlandisd.net prior to the first testing date for the application period.
Students who do not have scores from the previous district will need to sign up for a testing appointment. Students will take an online assessment for achievement and ability on designated testing dates.
Out-of-district assessments accepted
The following are examples of tests that we accept.
- Measures of Academic Progress (MAP)
- Iowa Tests (ITBS)
- Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT)
- Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT)
Appealing a score
Parent may submit a written request for a retest if:
- Test results indicate a testing irregularity (significant drop in score in subject area compared to prior year results).
- Student experienced a medical event on or near date of testing (illness, diagnosis, change in medication).
- Student experienced a death in the family within 10 days of testing.
Written requests should be emailed to GISDMagnetPrograms@garlandisd.net along with supporting documentation before the end of the magnet application window. See the timeline on the Magnet application process and timelines page for dates.
If a retest is granted, parents will be notified for scheduling.