Work collaboratively with campus and district staff to provide music therapy consultation, support and evaluation services to eligible special education students in a classroom setting.
Minimum bachelor’s degree in music therapy from an accredited university by the American Music
Three (3) years of experience providing music therapy services to special education students.
Knowledge of specific strategies and interventions for working with students with autism and other developmental disabilities.
Knowledge of procedures, strategies and equipment used in music therapy.
Knowledge of proper assessment protocols for music therapy evaluation
Knowledge of how to provide services for students in alignment with students’ individualized education programs.
Prior experience in presentations for professional development.
Major responsibilities and duties
Instructional and Program Management
- Provide classroom music therapy consultations to support students’ with autism and other development disabilities that address students IEP goals.
- Provide music therapy formal and informal assessments when requested to determine students’ needs and to measure progress.
- Serve as a resource for special education classroom teachers to provide professional development and consultation.
- Plan, promote, and provide professional development that will provide music therapy strategies to enhance classroom instruction.
- Assist in the process for the selection of instructional materials, musical instruments and instructional software.
- When necessary, participate in the Admission, Review and Dismissal (ARD) Committee to assist with the interpretation of assessment data, appropriate placement and goal setting for the students according to district procedures.
- Complete music therapy assessments as requested by the ARD Committee.
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
- Demonstrate support for the district’s student management policies and expected student behavior related to special education program.
Communication and Community Relations
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with principals, teachers, staff, parents, and community members.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.