Notice of changes to physicals and required documents for athletics participation
July 23, 2020
We are preparing for the upcoming school year and athletic seasons. This letter is to inform you of the following items:
- Temporary changes regarding preparticipation physical examinations for the 2020-2021 school year
- Optional item for Electrocardiogram (ECG) on the Preparticipation Physical Examination (PPE) form
- Current University Interscholastic League (UIL) documents required to complete in Rank One
1. Due to COVID-19, there will be some temporary changes concerning our annual physical examinations for the 2020-2021 school year. These changes were enacted by the UIL Medical Advisory Committee (MAC) and have been adopted by the Garland ISD Athletics Department.
In an effort to support social distancing and assist with the workload of medical professionals, the UIL MAC has recommended adjusting requirements related to the PPE form for the 2020-21 school year.
Here are the requirements for students participating in UIL athletic activities for the 2020-2021 school year:
a. If a student has previously completed a preparticipation physical examination for the 2019-2020 school year and is currently cleared for participation, they only need to complete the online Medical History page of the PPE form. This form can be found on Rank One. If there are concerns about the provided Medical History information, the Coordinator or Athletic Trainer will inform you of further steps that may include a new physical exam.
b. If a student did not complete a preparticipation physical examination for the 2019-2020 school year (i.e., all incoming 7th-grade students), or the student is not currently cleared for participation, they will be required to get a physical exam for the 2020-2021 school year. These students will need to complete both the Medical History and Physical Examination pages of the PPE form. Please print the Medical History and Physical Examination pages, complete the Medical History page, and take both to visit your physician. The physician will need to review your Medical History page before the physical examination. The Physical Examination page must be completed by a Medical Doctor, Nurse Practitioner, and/or Chiropractor before the student can participate in athletics. Once the PPE form is complete, it should be returned to the student’s Middle School Coordinator or Campus Athletic Trainer for their review.
2. The UIL has updated its PPE form to include the option for a student to have an Electrocardiogram (ECG) test performed on their heart at the family's own expense. According to the American Heart Association, an ECG gives two major kinds of information.
a. It measures time intervals of the heart, showing normal or irregular intervals.
b. It measures the amount of electrical activity of the heart muscle, showing normal or overworked heart muscle.
You have the right to choose or decline an ECG test for your child. Here’s what that looks like on the PPE form:
a. Check the box on the hard copy form if you want to choose the ECG. Check “Yes” on the online Medical History form if you want to choose the ECG. Complete the physical, and testing will be performed at the family’s expense. Consult your Middle School Coordinator or Campus Athletic Trainer if assistance is needed.
b. Don’t check the box on the hard copy form if you want to decline the ECG. Check “No” on the online Medical History form if you want to decline the ECG. Complete the physical as it has been done in the past.
Please read the UIL Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness Form (found in Rank One) before deciding which option to choose.
3. Online paperwork for the UIL and Garland ISD can be found in Rank One. You can locate Rank One by using the link below. Every student who plans to participate in a sport on their campus will need to complete the forms on the Rank One website before their first practice. If you have any questions or concerns, you can contact your child's Middle School Coordinator or Campus Athletic Trainer.
There are a variety of forms that must be submitted online before your student can participate in school athletics. These forms must be completed by both the parent and the student.
- Submit all forms online through the Rank One athletic forms system
- Review the Athletics forms system instructions page to help minimize any delays of your student's participation.
- After submitting all forms, give a hard copy of the Physical/Medical History to your campus trainer or coaches.