Plan and provide therapy to students with mental, development, physical and/or emotional disabilities. Assess students and provide educationally therapeutic intervention to enable students to benefit from special education instruction and to improve function in the educational environment.
Bachelor’s degree in occupational therapy or related program
Valid Texas license as an occupational therapist granted by the Texas Board of Occupational Therapy Examiners
One year of experience as an occupational therapist
Knowledge of rehabilitation procedures, activities and equipment used in occupational therapy
Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Willingness to execute written employment contract with Garland ISD
Major responsibilities and duties
Assume responsibility for the organization and operation of work within the area of supporting students and staff working with special education students following federal program guidelines as directed by the district and as specified in 34 Code of Federal Regulations §300.208 (a)(1).
- Assess students with disabilities and determine eligibility for services.
- Plan and provide direct, consultative and/or indirect services to support Individual Education Program (IEP).
- Evaluate student progress and determine readiness for termination of occupational therapy services.
- Design, construct, alter and provide students with adaptive equipment and devices to promote independence in an access to the educational environment.
- Consult with educational staff and parents regarding occupational therapy.
- Compile, maintain and file all reports, records and other documents required.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education Rules, and the local school board policy.
- Assist in the selection of materials, equipment and other adaptive material.
- Follow all rules, regulations, and policies of Garland ISD and follow directives from supervisors.
- Follow attendance policy as assigned by supervisor.
- Perform other functions that may be assigned by the Administration and/or supervisor.
Communication and Community Relations
- Engages family and community by promoting shared responsibility for student learning and support of the educational system.
- Collaboratively establishes a culture that welcomes and honors families and community and seeks ways to engage them in student learning.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.