Payroll and Benefits Administrator
To manage and supervise the payroll functions of the district in an accurate and efficient manner. Mange an employee benefits program that is both cost and care effective to participants and provide the resourcefulness to alleviate and solve insurance/insurer problems.
Ten + years’ payroll and benefits experience at a high level of responsibility
Five (5) years’ payroll and benefits supervisor experience
Ability to work in high volume position
Knowledge of local, state, and federal requirements relating to payroll issues and reports
Knowledge of payroll, benefits, accounting and auditing principles
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Knowledge of employee benefits and payroll computer applications
Ability to supervise personnel
Major responsibilities and duties
- Direct and control payroll preparation and production, inkling regular, special, and supplemental payrolls. Ensure adherence to standards and procedures, and take step to correct problems, delays, and inaccuracies.
- Develop and implement payroll procedures to ensure timely processing of payroll and the applicable payment of all payroll deductions including IRS levies, Bankruptcy judgments, and Child Support and Student Loan garnishments.
- Ensure accuracy of payroll data input and calculations.
- Control payment of all liabilities generated through payroll, including taxes, Teacher Retirement System (TRS) deposits, insurance.
- Coordinate payroll operations with other accounting and data processing units, confer with other administrative and technical staff regarding changes and new systems, and participate in developing, implementing, and testing procedures.
- Assure timely processing of direct deposit file and other banking interactions.
- Audit and verify HR and payroll transactions necessary for the completion of proper payroll checks and records.
- Maintain and process all Teacher Retirement reports.
- Process initialization of all payroll files for each school year.
- Balance calendar payroll totals and produce and distribute W2’s.
- Responsible for voluntary retirement plan processing and data transfer for all payrolls.
- Select, train, evaluate, and supervise payroll staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline and dismissal.
- Interface with administrators, principals, directors, and staff regarding payroll-related issues. Assist with the equitable resolution of complaints, concerns, and problems in the area of payroll.
- Work cooperatively with human resources and business services to process hiring, leave, terminations, and other employment-related issues.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required including auditable records.
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of payroll and benefits staff.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.