Payroll and Benefits Office Manager
Assist Payroll and Benefits Administrator with the management of the daily payroll activities of the district. Ensure that payroll is delivered in compliance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations and in a timely manner.
High School Diploma or GED
Ten + (10) years payroll experience at a high level of responsibility
Five + (5) years payroll supervisory experience
Knowledge of local, state, and federal requirements relating to payroll issues and reports
Knowledge of payroll accounting and auditing principles
Effective communication and interpersonal skills
Proficiency skills in keyboarding and file maintenance
Ability to work with numbers in an accurate and rapid manner
Ability to use software to develop spreadsheets, databases, and do word processing
Ability to supervise personnel
Major responsibilities and duties
- Direct and control payroll preparation and production, including regular, special, and supplemental payrolls. Ensure adherence to standards and procedures, and take steps to correct problems, delays, and inaccuracies.
- Develop and implement payroll procedures to ensure timely processing of payroll and the applicable payment of all payroll deductions including IRS levies, Bankruptcy judgments, and Child Support and Student Loan garnishments.
- Ensure accuracy of payroll data input and calculations.
- Control payment of all liabilities generated through payroll, including taxes, Teacher Retirement System (TRS) deposits, insurance. Coordinate payroll operations with other accounting and data processing units, confer with other administrative and technical staff regarding changes and new systems, and participate in developing, implementing, and testing procedures.
- Process and resolve direct deposit and other banking interactions.
- Select, train, evaluate, and supervise payroll staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Interface with administrators, principals, directors, and staff regarding payroll-related issues. Assist with the equitable resolution of complaints, concerns, and problems in the area of payroll.
- Work cooperatively with human resources and business services to process hiring, leave, terminations, and other employment-related issues.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required including auditable records.
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of payroll specialists.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.