Compile and prepare regular district payroll, including related reports and payments. Work under moderate supervision to ensure accurate and timely preparation of payroll records according to prescribed procedures and regulations.
High School Diploma or GED
One to three (1-3) years’ payroll experience
Knowledge of basic payroll accounting procedures
Ability to maintain accurate and auditable records
Ability to use software to create spreadsheets, databases, and do word processing
Proficiency in keyboarding and file maintenance
Ability to work with numbers in accurate and rapid manner to meet established deadlines
Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Major responsibilities and duties
- Prepare accurate district payroll for distribution to employees following established procedures.
- Calculate employee wages, salaries, hours worked, overtime pay, and determine withholdings, deductions, and net pay.
- Balance payroll earnings and deductions.
- Maintain district payroll registers, employee payroll information, and other original documentation in an orderly and accurate manner in accordance with state, federal, and district requirements.
- Prepare and post all payroll changes including payroll deductions, salary changes, termination, and new employee information, records, and reports.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents as required including maintaining payroll and related files such as payroll records, tax records, and direct deposit information.
- Prepare and submit payroll reports and forms including those required by the Internal Revenue Service and Teacher Retirement System of Texas.
- Work cooperatively with human resource department, principals, department heads, campus and department secretaries, and employees to ensure accuracy of information reported. Resolve payroll problems and inquiries.
- Respond to requests from financial institutions regarding verification of employment.
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.