The Ready 1:1 program is part of how we transform teaching and learning in GISD classrooms.
This program provides digital devices to students in order to:
- personalize instruction to each student’s unique needs, abilities and interests
- show students how to use technology to enhance education
- provide consistent, student-centered curriculum with real-world connections
- ensure equity of digital resources
- emphasize the importance of digital citizenship
- create collaborative learning environments
- prepare students with the skills needed to succeed in college and careers
Program guidelines and policies
To participate, students and parents must sign and agree to abide by the guidelines and policies as outlined in these documents:
Policy and guideline documents
High school Ready 1:1
The Ready 1:1 program provides students with access to digital learning resources including online textbooks, creation, communication, collaboration and productivity tools. This program is available for all high school students and families are highly encouraged to participate so that their students can take advantage of a variety of crucial instructional resources.
High school students who choose to participate in the Ready 1:1 program will be required to pay an annual, non-refundable maintenance fee of $25. This fee covers costs directly related to the maintenance and support of the high school Ready 1:1 devices.
Students can receive the iPad or Chromebook after making a $10 deposit. Then students need to make payments of $5 each grading period so that the total fee is paid off by the end of the first semester.
The fee is reduced for students that qualify for free or reduced-price meals:
- $15 for students who qualify for reduced-price meals
- $0 for students that qualify for free meals.
See the Free and reduced-price meals page to find out if your student qualifies for a reduced maintenance fee.
Parents will be able to opt in to the Ready 1:1 program online via Skyward Family Access at the beginning of each school year. The fee can also be paid online through Skyward.
For the 2019-20 school year, parents can opt in starting July 11.
Middle school Ready 1:1
The goal of our middle school Ready 1:1 program is to empower students to gain the skills and knowledge they need to achieve academically and prepare them to be globally competitive now and in the future.
Our middle school Ready 1:1 program provides a Chromebook to every student for use throughout the school day. Students will be issued a specific Chromebook assigned exclusively to them. Each Chromebook will have a label with the student’s name and bar-coded identification information. Students will receive instruction on the proper use and care of their assigned Chromebooks.
Inspired by the 2014-17 Strategic Plan and funded by the 2014 Bond, Ready 1:1 provided all high school students an iPad in the fall of 2016.
Since the 2017-18 school year, high school students and parents have been given the option to participate in the Ready 1:1 program. iPads were then distributed to those that opted in.
A pilot program at the middle school level led the district to choose Chromebooks as the middle school 1:1 device for students. Full-scale cart deployment for middle school occurred at the beginning of the 2018-19 school year.
By providing a device to students, we want to level the playing field and give each student a chance to explore new learning methods and personalize their educational experience. We want to encourage them to be innovative and think creatively.
The Ready 1:1 program:
- helps prepare the students of today for the world of tomorrow
- provides preloaded digital resources on devices
- helps students become creative, innovate problem-solvers - the type of candidates desired by colleges and employers
- provides equal access to technology at school