The Ready 1:1 program is part of the GISD Ready initiative which aims to transform teaching and learning in GISD classrooms.
High school Ready 1:1
The Ready 1:1 iPad program provides students with access to digital resources, online textbooks, and productivity tools. This program is available for all high school students and families are highly encouraged to participate so that their students can take advantage of this exciting instructional program.
High school students who choose to participate in the Ready 1:1 iPad program will be required to pay an annual, non-refundable fee of $25. This fee covers costs directly related to the maintenance and support of the high school Ready 1:1 devices and helps us sustain the program.
A $10 deposit can be made to receive the iPad with the remainder of the fee to be paid prior to the end of the first semester.
Using the Skyward Family Access portal, high school students and their families will have the opportunity to opt in to the Ready 1:1 program online at the beginning of each school year. The fee can also be paid online through Skyward.
Program guidelines and policies
To participate, students and parents must sign and agree to abide by the guidelines and policies as outlined in these documents:
Middle school Ready 1:1
The goal of our middle school Ready 1:1 program is to empower students to gain the skills and knowledge they need to achieve academically and prepare them to be globally competitive now and in the future.
As part of the GISD Ready initiative, the 1:1 program aims to:
- Personalize instruction to each student’s unique needs, abilities and interests
- Show students how to use technology to enhance education
- Provide consistent, student-centered curriculum with real-world connections
- Ensure equity of digital resources
- Emphasize the importance of digital citizenship
- Create collaborative learning environments
- Prepare students with skills needed to succeed in college and careers
Our middle school Ready 1:1 program provides a Chromebook computing device for every student to use throughout the school day. Students will be issued a specific Chromebook assigned exclusively to them. Each Chromebook will have a label with the student’s name and bar-coded identification information. Students will receive instruction on the proper use and care of their assigned Chromebooks.
Inspired by the 2014-17 Strategic Plan and funded by the 2014 Bond, Ready 1:1 provided all high school students an iPad in the fall of 2016.
For the 2017-18 school year, high school students and parents were given the option to participate. iPads were then distributed to those that opted in.
Trials at the middle school level led the district to choose Chromebooks as the middle school 1:1 tool. Full-scale cart deployment for middle school is coming in 2018-19.
By providing a device to students, we want to level the playing field and give each of them a chance to explore new learning methods and personalize their educational experience. We want to encourage them to be innovative and think creatively. The Ready 1:1 program:
- helps prepare students of today for world of tomorrow
- creates conditions for future success by helping students become the types of candidates desired by colleges and employers
- provides preloaded digital resources on devices
- helps students becomes creative, innovate problem-solvers - the type of candidates desired by college and employers
- provides equal access to technology in and out of the classroom