Safety and Training Manager
Under the direction of the Director of Transportation, plan, organize and supervise mandated bus driver training and safety programs. Establish and maintain legally compliant practices, rules, and regulations promulgated by the Department of Transportation (DOT), Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), and the district. Manage the hiring of qualified school bus drivers and bus aides; coordinate with the Risk Management Department on conducting school bus accident investigations and resolution of driver fault status and remediation.
Bachelor’s degree or 10 years; experience in the field of transportation operations
TAPT Professionally Certified Pupil Transportation Trainer (CTPTT)
Valid Texas School Bus Driver Safety Training Certificate
Minimum of five (5) year’s safety and training experience in a public-school setting or other comparable experience
Minimum three (3) years’ supervisory experience
Clear and valid driver’s license with CDL certification and P and S endorsements
Three (3) years as a trainer in school bus transportation
Texas Department of Public Safety certified third-party examiner
Demonstrate working knowledge of public-school bus transportation operations and procedures
Knowledgeable of DOT, NHTSA, FMCSA, MAP-21, TDPS, and TEA laws and regulations as they pertain to public school bus transportation
Knowledge of school board policies relating to student transportation
Experience with various instructional techniques in compliance for all regulatory agencies
Knowledge of record retention requirements and techniques in compliance for all regulatory agencies
Ability to lead, plan, organize, and supervise mandated school bus driver training and safety programs according to established DOT, TDPS, and department of Education laws, rules, and regulations
Ability to develop, implement, and conduct bus driver training programs to quality new current bus drivers for certification to drive a school bus in the State of Texas
Strong leadership, interpersonal, and presentation skills
Exhibit highly effective organizational and team building skills
Major responsibilities and duties
- Lead, plan, organize, and supervise mandated school bus driver training and safety programs according to established DIT, TDPS, and Department of Education laws, rules, and regulations,.
- Develop, implement, and conduct bus driver training programs to qualify new and current bus drivers for certification to drive a school bus in the state of Texas.
- Drive the culture of the Transportation Department in defining accepted behaviors to maximize safety practices, and reduce accidents and injuries.
- Assure compliance with the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act – MAP-21.
- Ensure that the district is compliant with the Federal Motor Carrier traffic Safety Administration Drug and Alcohol Clearing house program.
- Review department safety concerns; communicate with department staff regarding vehicle safety and school bus operations including things such as wheelchair lifts, bus speed, tail swing, backing in a school bus, and proper student pick-up and drop-off.
- In conjunction with the Assistant Director of Transportation, plan adequate school bus driver and aide staffing levels, proactively identify bus driver and aide candidates, interview and select candidates for hire, and supervise completion of the administrative process for hiring.
- Assist with staff development, in-services meetings, and training of school bus operations employees.
- Support department personnel functions such as interviewing, hiring, and counseling for the purpose of maintaining adequate staffing, enhancing productivity of personnel, promoting safe school bus operations, and achieving department goals within budget.
- Train, supervise, and evaluate the performance of bus driver trainers; supervise and assign trainers in support of hiring new and current drivers, as well as providing remedial training, and refresher training for existing bus drivers.
- Assist in planning of appropriate bus driver and bus aide staff levels supporting optimal bus operations.
- Keep the Director of Transportation informed of the staffing hiring activity, employment status, and disciplinary actions for bus drivers and aides.
- Establish and maintain files and records necessary for the completion of annual TEA reports.
- Establish and maintain files for employee hiring records, training records, annual DOT health exam, accident records, and driver certification records. Records should be accurate and complete to successfully pass a regulatory agency audit.
- Plan and organize an annual DOT medical exam event for all district bus drivers with the designated health services provider.
- Maintain records of bus driver certification status, and schedule driver re-certification training as required.
- Assist with the selection and deployment of software technology applications supporting safety and training within the department.
- Perform accident scene investigations in coordination with Risk Management and public authorities. Recommend remedial training or other specific driver discipline actions as warranted.
- Perform personal injury investigations for the Transportation staff, and submit suitable documentation to Risk Management.
- Evaluate and audit Transportation Standard Operations Procedures as well as performing field audits for conformance to established safety procedures and policies.
- Provide in-services and other Driver Safety educational programs for the Transportation Department staff in a variety of areas including defensive driving, safe student transportation methods, first aid, bus evacuation, fire extinguisher use and service status record keeping, and other safety programs as appropriate.
- Oversee the setup of the bus driver training facility, acquire training equipment, and maintain equipment in good working condition.
- Prepare various reports as required by the state, district, or department.
- Implement federal and state laws, State Board of Education rules, and Board policy.
- Respond to after-hours emergency calls as needed.
- Work with the Administrator of Safety and Student Discipline to maintain the effectiveness of bus driver behavior regarding student discipline.
- Monitor the day-to-day business of the transportation department and advise the Director of Transportation on developments and situations that impact effective safe bus transportation operations.
- Serve in various leadership capacities as needed or assigned.
- Promote a positive leadership image that supports the mission of the school district.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Transportation.
- Select, train, supervise and evaluate the Transportation Training staff. Supervise the Transportation Assistant.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.