Secondary High School ELL Coordinator
To advance student achieve achievement through the design and implementation of secondary ELL programs, including ESL/Content-based and ESL/Pull-out programs. In addition, coordinate ELL Language Acceleration/Acquisition Lab, ELL Student Leadership, ELL Newcomer and ELL SIFE Programs. Ensure compliance with all federal, state and district mandates and guidelines and effectively utilize program personnel, funds, and available resources to enhance the instructional programs.
Master’s degree in relevant educational field
Mid-Management or Principal Certificate or eligible for probationary certificate preferred
Valid Secondary Texas Teacher’s Certification in English Language Arts or Reading
Valid English as a Second Language (ESL) Certification
Five years of successful teaching experience at the secondary level
Experience with the design, development, and implementation of secondary ELL programs
Experience in project design, implementation, and monitoring of LPAC operations
Experience planning, developing and implementing professional development programs
Experience coordinating/administrating state-wide and local assessment programs
Experience working with district departments to integrate system-wide activities to meet targets
Experience preparing and maintaining a variety of narrative and statistical reports/records, inventories, and other materials related to ELL programs
Proficiency with technology including multi-media technology
Proficiency with various secondary ELL program designs
Demonstrated strong organizational, communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills required to achieve the goals of the position
Major responsibilities and duties
Instructional and Program Management
- Provides leadership for the development, articulation, implementation and stewardship of secondary ELL Programs, including ESL/Content-based, ESL/Pull-out, ESL Language Acceleration/Acquisition Lab, ELL Student Leadership, ELL Newcomer, and ELL SIFE Programs.
- Facilitates the development of comprehensive plans for achieving improvement goals required by federal and state accountability systems.
- Uses appropriate data in collaboration with others to establish rigorous, concrete goals in the context of student achievement and programs serving English language learners.
- Operationalizes high expectations for English language learners and assesses progress toward those expectations through performance assessments linked to clear standards.
- Defines systemic implications of how change initiatives interact so coherence for English language learners can be maintained across district and campus programs.
- Assists with the coordination of the development and implementation of innovative instructional programs serving English language learners to achieve identified needs.
- Develops and implements processes for monitoring and evaluating programs and initiatives serving English language learners.
- Works with departments and campuses to facilitate the use of student information and performance systems (e.g. Skyward, SchoolNet, Ellevation) in the teaching/learning process specific to English language learners.
- Conducts professional development addressing ELL specific program requirements and course content, including ELPS, sheltered instruction/SIOP, and TELPAS PLDs.
- Provides ELL support for district programs, requirements, and initiatives and impacting ELLs, such as Guidance and Counseling (graduation requirements, course guide, foreign transcript evaluation, grading & grouping), RtI (grade recovery, credit accrual, credit recovery), Special Education (collaborative services), Special Programs (advanced academics, summer school) and Student Services (intake process, overage interview/placement).
- Assists campuses with the development of ELL extended-day/year proposals, reports, and evaluations.
- Coordinates the ELL summer school programs.
- Coordinates the ELL assessment program.
- Serves as the TELPAS calibration trainer and supplemental support provider.
- Serves as the LPAC district member addressing instructional compliance activities, ILAP implementation and annual audits.
- Provides leadership for assessing, developing and improving climate and culture for English language learners.
- Develops and implements procedures to maximize English language learners’ instructional opportunities.
- Develops a comprehensive plan for achieving improvement goals associated with English language learners that includes intended outcomes, evaluation measures, action plans, persons responsible, and timelines.
Policy, Reports and Law
- Works to ensure that schools are in compliance with federal, state and local requirements outline in statute, education code, administrative code and policy for English language learners.
- Interprets and implements school district policies and procedures for the schools related to the implementation of secondary ELL programs.
- Prepares federal/state/local reports accurately and timely and makes local recommendations relative to secondary ELL programs as requested.
- Assists with the supervision of the writing/distribution of the BE/ESL program manual and forms as requested.
- Supports and follows federal, state and local rules and policies.
- Participates in development, preparation, and administration of the budget for supplies and equipment and ensure that the program is cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Effectively and efficiently organizes and sustains resources, and implements processes and systems to support teaching, learning, and organizational effectiveness consistent with the district’s vision and goals for English language learners.
- Contributes to the selection and purchase of supplemental equipment and supplies for the program.
- Participates in grant-writing activities to obtain program funding.
- Recruits, selects, inducts and retains staff to support quality instruction for English language learners.
- Provides leadership, encouragement, opportunities and structure for staff to continually design more effective teaching and learning experiences for all students.
- Provides timely, specific feedback to educators serving English language learners that validates best practice and encourages reflection.
- Conferences with assigned staff to discuss performance and to jointly develop improvement objectives for professional growth opportunities.
- Systematically and fairly recognizes and celebrates accomplishments of staff and students.
Communications and Community Relations
- Engages family and community by promoting shared responsibility for student learning and support of the education system.
- Promotes and supports structures for family and community involvement across the district.
- Collaboratively establishes a culture that welcomes and honors families and community and seeks ways to engage them in student learning.
- Supervises and evaluates instructional specialists and secretary.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.