Secretary to Director of Research, Assessment & Accountability
To assist in the routine work activities of a school district department office and provide clerical and administrative services to the Director of Research, Assessment & Accountability and other staff members.
High School Diploma, or equivalent, from and approved educational institution
Associates Degree, preferred
CEOP Certification, preferred
Three (3) years successful secretarial experience in public school
Two (2) years successful secretarial experience in a central office position, preferred
Good telephone and public relations skills
Proficient in keyboarding, work processing, file maintenance, and other computer skills
Working knowledge of basic office procedures and the operation of common office equipment/machines
Strong written and oral communication skills, including grammar and spelling
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business and technical publications
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written, oral, or diagram instructions
Ability to work with numbers in an accurate and rapid manner
Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
Ability to work well with a diverse population
Working knowledge of Skyward, Kronos, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, preferred
Bilingual (Spanish), preferred
Major responsibilities and duties
- Receive visitors and telephone calls; respond to general inquiries about functions of the department; screen those which can be handled without Director’s help.
- Process incoming and outgoing mail, as well as A-location email correspondence.
- Maintain adequate materials and office supplies for efficient and effective department functions.
- Utilize office technology (e.g., fax machine, electronic staplers/hole punches, etc.) to complete tasks and maintain operational readiness of equipment.
- Maintain department staff attendance records (e.g., Kronos).
- Assist with the development of the department office budget and maintain ledger records and other bookkeeping tasks as needed.
- Prepare and maintain purchase orders, check requests, invoices, reimbursements, etc.
- Compose minutes, correspondence, memoranda, reports, forms, and similar materials in final form and submit to appropriate entity.
- Maintain appropriate files and records associated with responsibilities.
- Maintain Director’s calendar, schedule meetings, travel arrangements and prepare materials for meetings as requested.
- Assist other department professional staff with appointments, scheduling meetings, travel arrangements, material preparations, and other secretarial tasks.
- Maintains confidentiality and integrity of information handled within the office.
- Articulate support for the mission, philosophy, strategic plan, goals/objectives, policies, and procedures of Garland ISD.
- Comply with policies established by state and federal law, State Board of Education rule, and local school board policy.
- Use effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
- Complete work efficiently, accurately, and promptly.
- Show initiative in assuming responsibility for routine office functions, duties, and responsibilities.
- Relate to staff, students, and parents in ways that convey mutual respect, concern, and high expectations.
- Demonstrate effective organization skills.
- Demonstrate effective organization skills.
- Accept responsibility for the care and protection of district property.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Determine priorities and maintain office controls to ensure timely accomplishment of assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism in dealing with students, parents, community members, and colleagues.
- Exert a positive influence demonstrating a “can do” attitude and fostering a collaborative work environment.
- Maintain a problem solving mindset, approaching problems with tact, directness, and integrity.
- Maintain professional behaviors, including appearance, daily attendance, punctual arrival, and order work space.
- Maintain mental alertness and physical ability to perform job functions.
- Demonstrate interest in acquiring new skills and knowledge.
- Pursue professional development through reading, attending conferences/training, and being involved with related associations and/or organizations.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.