Senior Construction Project Manager
Coordinate all project activities dealing with current and future Capital Improvement Plan (CIP), construction Bond Program, the District’s Critical Facility and Safety Project Plan and day-to-day Facilities and Maintenance Department construction and environmental projects. Oversee assigned construction activities, including but not limited to budgeting, planning, design, and insuring that GISD technical design guidelines are followed. Coordinate and manage all new construction and renovation projects assigned by the Administration. Ensure compliance with all planning and zoning requirements. Manage construction project managers and other GISD personnel involved in projects with the Facilities Department. Quality assurance and transition of warranties from general contractors to the GISD.
High School diploma or equivalent required
Bachelor’s degree in construction, architecture, or engineering related field preferred
Minimum five (5) years’ experience in construction project management, capital improvement planning/forecasting, general maintenance construction management, contract negotiations, contracts administration, project budget management and procurement of construction services within a K-12 education setting
Minimum five (5) years supervisory experience with direct report employees or general contractor and subcontractors
Ability to communicate articulately in written and verbal form
Knowledge with mechanical and electrical design and installation criteria
Proficient with computer software and tools used in the construction industry
Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Knowledge of building codes, zoning ordinances, accessibility standards, health and safety standards and regulations, and maintenance practices
Experience with the construction inspection permitting and certification processes
Adaptive to a changing work environment and able to continually improve operations
Ability to work on an as-needed basis to ensure the success of the project. This position will require work outside of the set office hours on an as-needed basis
Possess a positive customer sensitive attitude
Ability to organize, analyze and present data
Effective planning and organizational skills
Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous construction projects
Ability to understand, review and approve construction budgets and pay applications
Major responsibilities and duties
- Manage and coordinate the construction activities of all contractors working for School Facilities.
- Work with the GISD Administration, Architects, Engineers and GISD Purchasing department to develop RFP, CSP and RFQ specifications.
- Work collaboratively to serve as liaison between campus principals, architects, engineers, consultants and departments to develop, review and finalize project plans, drawings, schematics and specifications.
- Oversee on-site inspection of construction projects to verify conformance with GISD Standards, construction documents and programs, including but not limited to, materials testing, and overhead inspections, air-balancing, fire inspections, and conformance to the GISD Technical Design Guidelines.
- Work collaboratively with district personnel and contractors to supervise warranty correction work, conduct walk-through inspection and make final warranty check prior to endo of warranty periods.
- Manage departmental project managers or other GISD personnel assisting with project.
- Develop and maintain construction progress schedules.
- Visit all job sites on a routine and consistent basis; that may include multiple or extended visits to the same site during key phases of construction.
- Attend and participate in weekly OAC jobsite meeting.
- Responsible for quality control verification of construction projects.
- Expedite documentation and completion of punch list items.
- Coordinate transition of building operations from general contractor to GISD upon acceptance of a facility.
- Verify compliance of final close-out procedures for the general contractors, architects, and engineers.
- Understand and work with municipal jurisdictions for adherence to local codes and ordinances.
- Coordinate construction projects with the Environmental Department.
- Develop project specific work plans and supervise various internal and external teams.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with District and Department policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and director work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Perform all other tasks and duties as assigned.
- Direct report employees or general contractors and subcontractors
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.