Special Education Bus Monitor
Assist the driver of a school bus that transports students with special needs to and from school and/or other designated location. Responsible for safe and orderly transportation of students on route as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED
Satisfactory annual criminal history check
Must pass a pre-employment physical examination and drug screen
Prior experience as a bus aide/monitor and/or daycare setting
Ability to work well with students with special needs
Ability to secure wheelchairs and operate wheel chair lift as trained
Ability to operate safety and adaptive equipment as trained
Ability to annually complete required training as assigned
Ability to verbally interact with staff, parents, and the public in a positive manner
Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately via two-way radios
Ability to read maps/interpret directions for assigned route
Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
Ability to physically perform front and rear door bus evacuations
Ability to read and understand documents, including policies and procedure manuals
Major responsibilities and duties
- Assist on assigned route daily while adhering to established schedules.
- Assist in the completion of accurate updated and timely records including weekly attendance roster as assigned.
- Operate equipment according to established safety procedures to ensure that seat belts, safety vests, and/or car seats are used properly.
- Assist students on and off the bus according to their individual needs.
- Assist students with the use of safety equipment as outlined in the students’ Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
- Maintain confidentiality of information regarding students with special needs as required by law and Garland ISD policies and procedures.
- Follow assigned bus route as directed.
- Display professionalism in dealing with students, parents, staff, and community.
- Approach problem solving tactfully with directness and integrity.
- Exert a positive influence and work in harmony with associates.
- Respond to suggestions for improvement in a positive manner.
- Keep assigned bus clean as required.
- Maintain professional appearance.
- Be mentally alert and physically able to perform all job functions.
- Report all accidents and incidents to proper authorities with required information and within the appropriate time frame.
- Manifest support for and compliance with the philosophy, policies, and procedures of Garland ISD.
- Follow district policies and departmental procedures pertaining to individual assignments.
- Maintain discipline and use appropriate and effective behavior management control over groups of students with special needs as trained.
- Ability to maintain emotional control and de-escalate problems for students with special needs as trained.
- Report student discipline problems to the appropriate administrator as required.
- Attend monthly in-service or safety meetings as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.