Special Education Teacher
To provide educational services to students with disabilities, responsible for planning, developing, delivering and evaluating appropriate individualized educational services, learning programs and instruction in both self-contained and integrated settings in consultation with other school personnel.
Bachelor’s degree from accredited university
Valid Texas teaching certificate with required endorsements or training for subject and level assigned
Demonstrate competency in the core academic subject area assigned
Valid Texas Special Education certification
One year student teaching or approved internship
Knowledge of core academic subject assigned
Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Knowledge of local, state, and federal regulations and policies affecting special education
Knowledge of current special education practices and methodologies
Knowledge of educational technology applications
Major responsibilities and duties
- Develop and implement lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of district’s curriculum program and show written evidence of preparation as required. Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations/modifications for differences in individual student differences.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, equipment, and technology that reflect understanding of the needs of students’ assigned and present subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
- Conduct formal/informal assessments of assigned students and use results to plan instructional activities.
- Work cooperatively with general education teachers to modify curricula as needed for special education students according to guidelines established in the Individualized Education Program (IEP).
- Plan and assign work to instructional aide(s) and volunteer(s) and oversee completion.
Student Growth and Development
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned.
- Be a positive role model for students; support mission of the school district.
- Prepares all required paperwork for students Admission, Review and Dismissal (ARD) meeting within timelines.
- Attends and participates in ARD meetings.
Classroom Management and Organization
- Create classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Manage student behavior through monitoring, supervising, and assessing behavioral patterns and when necessary develop and implementing a behavior intervention plan based upon results of the functional behavior assessment in accordance with students’ IEPs.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Assist in selecting books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required.
- Plan, develop and implement individualized learning plans for each student.
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with parents, students, colleagues, and community members.
- Assist parents with understanding and supporting educational objectives, learning expectations and behavioral standards.
- Maintain regular communication with parents by means of email, phone calls, conferences, progress reports and report cards.
Professional Growth and Development
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
- Comply with state, district, and school regulations and policies for classroom teachers.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Maintain a current knowledge of special education best practices and trends.
- Direct the work of assigned instructional aide(s).
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.