Eligible children can get a summer 2021 Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer (P-EBT).
The program helps families who may have lost access to meals at school due to COVID-19. It is a one-time benefit of $375 for each eligible child.
Who can get the P-EBT?
Summer P-EBT (June–August) is for families with K-12 children who were enrolled in a Texas school during the last month of the 20-21 school year. Families must meet income eligibility and program requirements. Families are eligible if they meet one of the following:
- qualify for free or reduced-price meals through the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- have children born after Aug. 1, 2014, and receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) food benefits
- have students that attend a Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) or Provision 2 school
Please note that receiving free meals at school does not automatically make a child eligible for P-EBT benefits.
Getting the benefit
Getting the P-EBT changes based on your situation:
- Children who received 2020–2021 school year P-EBT benefits ( a part of SNAP or completed the P-EBT online application):
No action is required. The benefit will be added on the Lone Star card.
- Children who were eligible, but did not apply, for P-EBT during the 2020–2021 school year and did not receive SNAP from Aug 20-21:
The parent or guardian can either complete the 21–22 school year P-EBT application or complete and return the household application for free and reduced-price meals (NSLP form)* to Garland ISD by Aug. 28.
- Children who are newly eligible for NSLP:
The parent or guardian should complete and return the household application for free and reduced-price meals (NSLP form)* to Garland ISD on or before Aug. 28 to see if they are eligible for summer 2021 P-EBT.
For more information, see the Texas Health and Human Services website.
*Garland ISD is able to offer free and reduced-price meals without applications for the school year based on USDA guidance. However, an application is needed to determine eligibility for the P-EBT benefit. Please contact Student Nutrition Services if you need help.