Tax Clerk III
Under minimal supervision assist with the processing of district property taxes following established procedures for collection of tax revenue. Provide clerical services to the tax assessor/collector.
High school diploma or GED
Eligible for registration with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation as a Registered Tax Collector (RTC)
Bookkeeping experience at clerical level, preferred
Banking experience at clerical level preferred
Knowledge of bookkeeping principles and practices
Proficient in keyboarding, 10-key numerical data entry, and file maintenance
Ability to use software to develop spreadsheets and do word processing
Ability to work with numbers in an accurate and rapid manner to meet established deadlines
Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Knowledge of state and local tax codes
Major responsibilities and duties
- Process all tax payment transactions and post deposits.
- Receive and process refunds from tax exemptions.
- Process purchase orders and check requests.
- Reconcile budget monthly.
- Input tax data.
Records and Reports
- Assist with the preparation of annual tax rolls.
- Prepare and send tax statements, notices, and receipts as directed.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents as required.
- Assist taxpayers, officials, and other members of the public. Maintain effective rapport with general public and handle any problems or concerns in a prompt and courteous manner.
- Prepare correspondence, memorandums, forms, manuals, requisitions, reports, and presentation for the tax assessor/collector.
- Answer incoming calls, take messages, and route them to the proper party. Handle questions and requests that fall within level responsibility.
- Process Kronos time sheets; keep office supplied and running smoothly.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.