Transportation Operations Supervisor
Ensure the safe and efficient transportation of students and employees on district vehicles. Supervise route supervisors, field trip supervisors and route specialists. Perform routing, scheduling, special projects, and other duties as directed.
High school diploma or GED
Minimum of five (5) years supervisory experience in school transportation operations
Five (5) years’ experience in school transportation
Clear and valid driver’s license with CDL certification and P and S endorsements
Ten years of supervisory experience
Knowledge of demographic and transportation routing software
Knowledge of student management database routing system
Ability to use software to develop schedules
Proficient map reading skills
Proficient computer skills in Microsoft applications and applicable transportation software
Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and interpersonal skills
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Ability to manage and supervise personnel
Major responsibilities and duties
- Layout and schedule all district bus routes in accordance with Texas Education Agency guidelines.
- Ensure accurate and efficient route assignments within district’s geographic area of operations.
- Promote a positive image that supports the mission of the school district.
- Support Assistant Director with the assignment and evaluation of department employees.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with school staff and administration.
- Schedule parent and/or driver conferences when necessary.
- Evaluate driver performance and propose appropriate methods on interacting with student concerning behavior problems/
- Confer with assistant director and make recommendations regarding supervised personnel.
- Assist with various reports as required by the state, district, and department.
- Observe all safety rules according to DOT regulations.
- Coordinate new and revised bus routes and schedules.
- Process requests and arrange for extracurricular transportation.
- Assist with department TEA annual reports.
- Coordinate and schedule summer school and extended day routes.
- Assist in developing and coordinating routes to maximize time and capacity use of school buses through the district’s routing system.
- Develop and maintain regular bus routes to ensure optimum routing efficiency using the district’s computerized routing software program.
- Prepare and generate state routes and student count forms in accordance with state reporting guidelines.
- Project bus schedule modifications based on changes in demographics.
- Work with other route supervisors to monitor the accuracy of their assigned routes.
- Respond to complaints about transportation services and address issues when appropriate. Redirect issues to director, as needed.
- Substitute drive on any bus route as necessary.
- Manage student behavior while on a bus route.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Supervise and evaluate route supervisors, field trip supervisors, and route specialists.
Mental demands/physical demands/environmental factors
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsible and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.