A ten-letter word denotes victory for Walnut Glen Academy for Excellence student Zander Huynh. After rounds of intense competition, the fourth-grader won the 2019 Garland ISD Spelling Bee, acing this year’s championship word: lieutenant.
Although it took Huynh just 12 seconds to spell the winning word, the first-place trophy is not easily attained. The annual district Spelling Bee features fourth through eighth-graders vying for the No. 1 spot. Huynh’s achievement is even more impressive considering he was one of the youngest contenders.
During the Jan. 16 contest, Huynh and a Hudson Middle School student were the last two standing. When the word gingham overcame his competitor, Huynh snagged the title by correctly spelling mariachi and the prize-winning term.
Congratulations and good luck to Huynh and the following six runners-up who will compete in the Dallas County Spelling Bee.
- Aubry Perine – Hudson Middle School
- Lukas Hernandez – Keeley Elementary School
- Jennifer Ho – Jackson Technology Center for Math & Science
- Zoe Bagaoisan – Hillside Academy for Excellence
- Ria Rana – Austin Academy for Excellence
- Charlotte Terry – Caldwell Elementary School
Photos courtesy of Dave Burton.