We don't offer online AP classes at this time. While there are several companies that do offer this service, Garland ISD board policy prohibits commercial endorsements so we cannot provide links to these companies.
Advanced Placement (AP)
All of our daytime high schools offer advanced placement courses in a wide variety of subjects. Students enrolled in these college-level courses may take an examination in the spring, the results of which are used by many colleges and universities to award college credit.
"The AP Program challenges students, rewards their achievements, eases the transition to college, and may ease the financial burden of college," according to Wade Curry, AP Program Director.
Students who complete AP courses are:
- better prepared academically
- more likely to specialize in stringent majors
- more likely to complete more college work in four (4) years
- found to perform slightly better than peers who did not take AP courses
- more likely to exercise leadership
- twice as likely to go into advanced study (Ph.D., medicine, law)
The cost of an AP exam is small compared to the average cost per course in public or private universities. We encourage you to consider enrolling in one or more of the many GISD AP courses which give you an opportunity to pursue college-level studies while still in high school. Enrollment in AP courses is open to all students that meet course prerequisites outlined in the high school course guide.
AP Scholar Awards
The AP program recognizes students that demonstrate outstanding performance on their Advanced Placement exams. Learn more on the College Board AP Scholar Awards page.
Available AP courses
- Computer Science II
- English IV Language and Composition
- English Literature and Composition
- French IV
- French V
- German IV
- Latin IV
- Spanish IV
- Spanish V
- Probability and Statistics
- Environmental Science
- United States History
- United States Government
- Economics with Emphasis on the Free Enterprise System and its Benefits
- European History
- World History
- General Art Portfolio
- History of Art
- Music Theory II (GHS)
- Music Theory/Literature (GHS)