Magnet application process
Please review the 2018-19 application timeline dates below.
Students entering grades 1-12
|Magnet Fair (High School)||Nov. 1|
|Curtis Culwell Center|
|Magnet Fair (Elementary & Middle School)|
Curtis Culwell Center
|Enrollment for grades 1-12|
Nov. 4 - Jan. 8
|Magnet application for grades 1-12|
|Magnet application help session||Jan. 11|
10 a.m. - noon
|Harris Hill – Sabine Room|
|Magnet application help session||Jan. 16|
|Harris Hill – Sabine Room|
|Academy for Visual and Performing Arts Auditions (Garland HS)||Jan. 23 and Feb. 1||Garland High School|
|Art/music audition – elementary||Jan. 26-27||TBA|
|Testing||Jan. 27||Elementary: TBA|
|Montessori observation||Feb. 3||TBA|
|Art/music audition – middle school||Feb. 9-10||TBA|
|Results posted in Skyward||Feb. 16||Skyward|
|Deadline to accept a seat||Feb. 23||Skyward|
Students entering Pre-k or Kindergarten
|Early childhood enrollment begins||Mar. 22||Skyward|
|Magnet application for Pre-K or Kindergarten||Mar. 26 - Apr. 7||Skyward|
|Choose GISD event||Apr. 7|
9 a.m.-1 p.m.
|Montessori observation||May 5||TBA|
|Parent notification of results||May 18||Skyward|
|Deadline to accept a seat||May 24||Skyward|
Second chance application (entering PreK-12)
|Magnet application for grades PK-12||June 4-8||Skyward|
|Testing: non-Montessori||June 16||Elementary: TBA|
|Montessori observation||June 16||Pre-K - 3rd Montessori: TBA|
|Results posted in Skwyard||June 25||Skyward|
|Deadline to accept a seat||June 28||Skyward|
- All qualified applicants, except Academy for Excellence applicants, will be placed in a lottery. All students will be offered seats in the order they are chosen in the lottery. Magnet placement and waitlist information will be made available to parents in the Skyward Family Access account.
- Academy for Excellence applicants will be ranked according to combined scores and offered seats in rank order. Students are also placed on the waitlist in rank order.
Notification of acceptance
- Parents can log into Skyward after the notification date to find out if their student has been accepted into a program or is on the waitlist for a program.
- Parent must accept or decline the seat they have been offered on or before the deadline listed in the magnet application timeline.
- If parent declines the seat, the choice of school process will be applied to the student.
- If a parent accepts the magnet seat, the choice is binding for the entire school year. (Board policy EHBB Local)
- If the student does not qualify or is on a waitlist in either the first or second choice program, the student will enter the choice of school process.
- As seats become available in the magnet programs, students on the waitlist will be called in order of lottery placement.
- As Academy for Excellence seats become available, students on the waitlist will be called in order of score ranking.
- After the second week of school, students will no longer be called from the waitlist.
- After the accept/decline deadline, transfers will only be accepted for elementary MST (Beaver/Watson) or Academy for Excellence (Hillside, Kimberlin, Walnut Glen) students who have moved into a new transportation area for their assigned magnet school if seats are available.
- If a student wishes to transfer out of the magnet program after they have accepted the seat, they must wait until the following school year. (Board policy EHBB Local) Parents may complete a new magnet application for a different school or may participate in the choice of school process the following school year.
- Students who are currently enrolled in a magnet program are eligible to continue in the magnet program as long as they are meeting program requirements.
- Magnet students in grades K-4, 6-7, and 9-11 will automatically be placed in the same magnet program for the following year unless the parent completes a program removal (MP 103) and choice of school form.
- Magnet students in grades 5 and 8 must complete a program continuation form. Program continuation forms will be available in Skyward prior to the secondary (middle and high school) magnet application window. Parents must log into Skyward and complete a program continuation form to continue or exit the magnet program for the next grade level. Magnet campuses will assist parents who do not have access to technology.
- Parents who decline the magnet seat on the continuation form will need to complete a choice of school form.
- A parent may choose to complete a magnet application after accepting a seat on the program continuation form. If the student is accepted into the new program, the student will lose their seat in the previous magnet program.