Magnet application process
The 2017-18 application period begins November 17.
- Parents must complete the online magnet application (available on Skyward Family Access) by the deadline.
- If your student does not currently attend a Garland ISD school, you must first pre-enroll your student in order to have access to the magnet application form in Skyward. You may pre-enroll your student at the Magnet Fair or at the Manuel and Maria Valle Center.
- Students must meet initial qualifications to apply for programs.
- If a student is missing test scores on the application, parent must sign up for a testing date on the online application in Skyward.
- Parents may select a first and second choice. If the student qualifies and is placed in the first choice magnet, the student will not be considered for the second choice magnet.
- If the student does not qualify for the first choice magnet, the student will be considered for the second choice.
Secondary - Students entering grades 6-12
|Magnet Fair||November 5|
|Application Window||November 17 - December 16|
|Testing||January 7, 14|
|Auditions||January 20, 21|
|GHS PAE & IB Art submission due||Jan 13|
|Parent Notification of results||February 3|
|Parent accept/deny program no later than||February 14|
Elementary - Students entering grades 1-5
|Magnet Fair||November 5|
|Application Window||Jan 23- Feb 17|
|Testing||Feb 18, 25, March 4|
|Auditions||Feb 24, 25|
|Parent Notification of results||April 21|
|Parent accept/deny program no later than||May 2|
Students entering Pre-k or Kindergarten
|Early Childhood Expo||April 8|
|Application Window||March 23-April 14|
|Testing||April 29, May 6|
|Parent Notification of results||May 15|
|Parent accept/deny program no later than||June 2|
Second chance application (entering PreK-12)
|Application Window||May 31-June 10|
|Parent Notification of results||July 21|
|Parent accept/deny program no later than||July 28|
- All qualified applicants, except Academy for Excellence applicants, will be placed in a lottery. All students will be offered seats in the order they are chosen in the lottery. Magnet placement and waitlist information will be made available to parents in the Skyward Family Access account.
- Academy for Excellence applicants will be ranked according to combined scores and offered seats in rank order. Students are also placed on the waitlist in rank order.
Notification of acceptance
- Parents can log into Skyward after the notification date to find out if their student has been accepted into a program or is on the waitlist for a program.
- Parent must accept or decline the seat they have been offered on or before the deadline listed in the magnet application timeline.
- If parent declines the seat, the choice of school process will be applied to the student.
- If a parent accepts the magnet seat, the choice is binding for the entire school year. (Board policy EHBB Local)
- If the student does not qualify or is on a waitlist in either the first or second choice program, the student will enter the choice of school process.
- As seats become available in the magnet programs, students on the waitlist will be called in order of lottery placement.
- As Academy for Excellence seats become available, students on the waitlist will be called in order of score ranking.
- After the second week of school, students will no longer be called from the waitlist.
- After the accept/decline deadline, transfers will only be accepted for elementary MST (Beaver/Watson) or Academy for Excellence (Hillside, Kimberlin, Walnut Glen) students who have moved into a new transportation area for their assigned magnet school if seats are available.
- If a student wishes to transfer out of the magnet program after they have accepted the seat, they must wait until the following school year. (Board policy EHBB Local) Parents may complete a new magnet application for a different school or may participate in the choice of school process the following school year.
- Students who are currently enrolled in a magnet program are eligible to continue in the magnet program as long as they are meeting program requirements.
- Magnet students in grades K-4, 6-7, and 9-11 will automatically be placed in the same magnet program for the following year unless the parent completes a program removal (MP 103) and choice of school form.
- Magnet students in grades 5 and 8 must complete a program continuation form. Program continuation forms will be available in Skyward prior to the secondary (middle and high school) magnet application window. Parents must log into Skyward and complete a program continuation form to continue or exit the magnet program for the next grade level. Magnet campuses will assist parents who do not have access to technology.
- Parents who decline the magnet seat on the continuation form will need to complete a choice of school form.
- A parent may choose to complete a magnet application after accepting a seat on the program continuation form. If the student is accepted into the new program, the student will lose their seat in the previous magnet program.