Educating 55,000 students across 72 campuses, Garland ISD ranks as the second-largest district in Dallas County, fifth-largest in Dallas-Fort Worth, 15th-largest in Texas, and is among the 75-largest in America. With a rich, 100-year tradition of excellence, GISD boasts a diverse population that speaks more than 100 languages, as well as technology-driven campuses, magnet programs and approximately 200 Career and Technical Education courses. Our family of three cities shares a vision that serves to provide an exceptional education to all students.
The GISD difference
In Garland ISD, there are no attendance zones and you can select the campus you want your children to attend through our Choice of School program.
More than 98% of families receive their first choice of school.
Attend your neighborhood school, a school across town or apply to attend a magnet school.
Transportation is provided in designated transportation zones for neighborhood schools and for students accepted to magnet schools.
We provide opportunities for all students to earn at least 12 hours of college credit or an industry certification alongside their high school diplomas. See our College for All page for more information.
Selective magnet schools, innovative programs and student-focused support services give each student the power to create a customized education based on personal strengths, talents and interests. There's something for everyone, from 3 years old to 12th grade.
GISD helps to cover the cost of your student's success. We offer:
- free AP Exams to all high school students enrolled in AP courses
- free PSAT/SAT exams for students in eighth through 11th-grade
financial awards for students with qualifying AP performance
free college tuition through our Dallas County Promise partnership
Here at GISD, we provide the best learning environment possible to our students. Here are just a few of our features:
- local police officers, known as School Resource Officers, provided to teach and protect students
- registered nurses provided at every school
- secure vestibules entry areas for all of our buildings
GISD meets the needs of the 21st-century learner through our future-focused curriculum. Our district:
- is the largest Google for Education Reference district in the nation
- provides free Chromebooks for secondary students
- uses a STEAM framework implemented at all schools
- has out-of-the-classroom learning experiences such as STEAMposium, JA BizTown program, Taiwanese Student Ambassador program and more
- maintains distinctive facilities such as our planetarium, natatorium
and Gilbreath-Reed Career and Technical Center
GISD stands out above the rest:
- 10 Best Community for Music Education awards
- National Blue Ribbon schools, National PTA Schools of Excellence, U.S. News & World Report's Best Schools and Texas Honor Roll distinctions
- repeated National Merit and Advanced Placement Scholar student recognition
- 11.2 years average teacher experience and a student/teacher ratio of 15.5:1
- AAA rating by Moody's for financial excellence
- Texas Comptroller Transparency Star Award for Traditional Finances
- 64 campuses Energy Star certified
Here are just a few of the perks that come with joining the GISD team:
- competitive salaries
- comprehensive benefits package including an employee assistance program
- students of nonresident employees can attend GISD schools
- a two-year 1 on 1 new teacher mentorship
- a low-cost employee clinic for non-emergency medical needs
"GISD has great teachers who care for their students. I was nurtured by some of the best teachers. They helped me look for opportunities that would further my learning and build my character. I thank GISD for starting the building blocks of my success!"
---Karina L. Olivares (1995), Garland Chamber of Commerce President